Tetra T2 Hob Filter Died

MoMa

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Thanks for reading.

We have a Tetra Hang On Back filter -- a T2? (from bottom of motor). We had recently changed to a sand substrate in a 48 gallon tank (no fish), to prepare for Mbuna. We will be upgrading to a canister filter to handle the increased bioload of African Cichlids.

I want to free up a small HOB filter (for 10g) for another small project, and would like to use the T2 for one of our 10g tanks.

Problem is, shortly after changing to sand, the filter stopped working. I'm pretty sure a large "chunk" of sand got in there and stopped the rotor from turning. The filter, now dry, will not work when plugged in.

I have seen replacement motors for sale, so my question, in two parts...

Will any 60Hz, 7watt motor work?

or..

Is there some sort of DIY fix in order to get this thing to work again?

Thanks for any help.
MoMa

I've had sand get into an impeller housing before but all it did was create a lot of noise until I cleaned it out. I can't tell from your post if you're saying its jammed or if the motor isn't even trying to work. If its jammed you can try to clean out the impeller housing, but if the motor is dead I have nothing to offer you on that one. I have heard that Tetra filters are pretty crappy and you should stay away from them. Of course you already have it so use what you've got, but if you end up replacing it you might want to look into another brand. I use penguin biowheels by marineland and like them.

I've had sand get into an impeller housing before but all it did was create a lot of noise until I cleaned it out. I can't tell from your post if you're saying its jammed or if the motor isn't even trying to work. If its jammed you can try to clean out the impeller housing, but if the motor is dead I have nothing to offer you on that one. I have heard that Tetra filters are pretty crappy and you should stay away from them. Of course you already have it so use what you've got, but if you end up replacing it you might want to look into another brand. I use penguin biowheels by marineland and like them.
marineland makes tetra filters :cool:

Most reactions

Back