Test Results

foster75

Reaction score
hi, i've been doing a fishless cycle and today is the first day i've got a zero reading for ammonia. should i keep adding ammonia and how long for?
ammonia 0
ph 6.4
kh 50
gh 125
nitrate 25
nitrite 5

thanks

To get an understanding please read the fishless cycle guide as its important before you get fish :good:

you will need to ammonia all the way through the cycle untill 24-48 hours before the tank is ready for fish :good:

One thing to watch out for from those readings is that you're very close to a pH crash which will stall the cycle. You need to add bicarbonate of soda to raise the pH up to at least 7, although the higher the better, or just do a water change if your source water has a higher pH. Then keep a regular check to make sure it doesn't fall too far again.

well spotted there but small correction, the higher the better is not wise fishless cycle will benefit the most at approx 8.2 :good:

It can't go above 8.2 with bicarb which is why I didn't feel the need to mention it. :hey:

One thing to watch out for from those readings is that you're very close to a pH crash which will stall the cycle. You need to add bicarbonate of soda to raise the pH up to at least 7, although the higher the better, or just do a water change if your source water has a higher pH. Then keep a regular check to make sure it doesn't fall too far again.

it crashed last week, the ph out of the tap is 7.5. the tank is planted and has wood in. could this be making the ph drop

Its normal to drop in fishless cycle mate all mine did, get so bi carb and add it to the tank till your at ph 8 and keep as close to during the cycle. Dont use bi carb when fish are ofc :good:

It can't go above 8.2 with bicarb which is why I didn't feel the need to mention it. :hey:

How does that work then? (not sarcastic btw intrested) :good:

It works like this:

equilibriumgav.jpg

This shows the equilibrium relation between carbonate, bicarbonate and carbonic acid. The graph tells you what the percentages of all three are at a particular pH (i.e. pH is the independant variable) but we're coming in from the other direction, we're adding bicarb to drive the pH. So you can see that if you keep adding bicarb (starting from a low pH) it will eventually peak at a pH of approximately 8.2

it crashed last week, the ph out of the tap is 7.5. the tank is planted and has wood in. could this be making the ph drop

The main thing causing the pH drop is the nitrification process, i.e. the nitrifying bacteria produce acid, so it's an ongoing thing. As your water pH is 7.5 I would just do 50% water changes whenever your nitrite reaches 5ppm, that'll also prevent your nitrite going crazily high (i.e. literally off the chart) and should speed your cycle.

Its best to fill a bucket of water and check your tap water 24h later for your ph. Maybe you've done this already.

just in case your ph is lower than you expect and are relying on water changes to bring it back up.

I use bicarb in my fishless cycle to bring my ph up. I find it easier than doing water changes.

The pH of bicarb is 8.2.....that is why it cannot go any higher..

oww see never to old to learn thanks never knew :good:
No problem. I have also heard of bicarb being used in a tank that has fish in it....ive read it is safe, but I am too afraid to try it. The ph of my tap water is almost 9 so in the event of a pH crash I just do a small water change to raise it lol.

Havent had a pH crash in a long time..

Most reactions

Back