Test Kits

monkeyman

Moved On
Reaction score
Jus wonderin how long test kits last for? Ammonia, nitrite & nitrate, oh & NEVER forgetting pH? I have mine opened for about a year - will they still be accurate? :S

they should be.If they start to smell funt or go lumpy them they have one past the use by date.Yours should be fine it depends were they are kept and at what temp.

Nitrate test kits only last a few months once opened and after that start to become increasingly inaccurate, the others should last longer but i wouldnt put much faith in any that had been open longer than a year.

Found this article which might help a bit...

kest kit shelf life

Have been wondering about the accuracy of my nitrate test kit today.

Have checked the lot number, and mine was produced April 2005, and according to API's reply, it should have a shelf life of 3 years....which means mine "should" be fine... however, I think I will get a second opinion by buying another test.

One thign that stans out about their replies though... only tetra says that once opened should be binned within a year... none of the other mention that.

Thanx again for all your replies! Think ill just go and buy new ones, its not a lot if u only do it once a year & better safe than sorry! :thumbs:

I tend to bin them if they've been opened for more than a year. Although with my obsessive testing still not having worn out, I generally need a new test kit every 6 months!
:X
Ami

Most reactions

Back