Temperature Matching Using A Hose And A Kettle

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

daizeUK

Fish Botherer
Reaction score
I want to stop using the hot water tank to bring water up to temperature in my tanks if I possibly can.  I fill with a hose which makes it a bit trickier.

Firstly, how much of a temperature drop is acceptable during a water change?  If I just run cold water I'd anticipate a drop from 24°C down to about 17°C or less which I think would be too much of a shock.  If I aim to let the temp drop no lower than 21°C does this sound better?

The only way I can think to add warm water without using the hot water tank is to boil a kettle and trickle it in slowly alongside the hose.  Would this work if I make sure the fish don't come near the scalding water as it goes in?

I reckon I'd need to trickle in about 7L of boiled water to keep the overall temperature at around 22°C.

Any thoughts?

Another option would be to just fill the tank much more slowly, with the heater running... (be sure the heater is below the water level recommended).

The slower the water runs in, gives you two benefits:

1 - more time for the fish to acclimate to the new temp.

2 - less temp difference as the heater has some time to heat the water in the tank up, keeping it more on balance.

I'd give that a shot and just take my time on the water change... maybe over the course of 2 hours or so, and keep an eye on the temperature.  I've done this in the past with my 55 gallon tank to no ill effects.

Another alternative would be to just do more frequent but smaller volume water changes. Adding less of the new colder water would keep the temp more stable.

A third alternative would be to start the water change process by leaving a large container of water out over night then do the water change in the morning... but would involve some 'bucketing' type activity, which the hose is designed to avoid - so this is likely not a very good solution.

May I ask why you want to stop using the mixer tap?

Thanks Eagle, some good ideas for me to think about!

eaglesaquarium said:

Uncertainty about whether it's healthy for the fish.  I've been using it for about a year but currently suffering minor health problems in two tanks and I want to do all I can to keep the water clean.  I've heard that some people stopped suffering so many problems when they stopped using the hot water supply.  Our house is not very old, about fifteen years, but I've been told that our attic tank is not the cleanest... 
unsure.png

The idea about using the heater is a good one, my usual heater is external so I can't use that but I could put a spare internal heater in temporarily to help out.  I could also mix some boiled water with cold in a bucket and add jugfuls of that - that's probably safer than adding scalding water direct from the kettle?!

daizeUK said:
Thanks Eagle, some good ideas for me to think about!

Uncertainty about whether it's healthy for the fish.  I've been using it for about a year but currently suffering minor health problems in two tanks and I want to do all I can to keep the water clean.  I've heard that some people stopped suffering so many problems when they stopped using the hot water supply.  Our house is not very old, about fifteen years, but I've been told that our attic tank is not the cleanest... 
unsure.png

The idea about using the heater is a good one, my usual heater is external so I can't use that but I could put a spare internal heater in temporarily to help out.  I could also mix some boiled water with cold in a bucket and add jugfuls of that - that's probably safer than adding scalding water direct from the kettle?!

Most definitely...

i just fill a bucket to warm water and pour in the tank after de-chlorinating it

I have to use water from the cold tap, as I don't have a mixer tap, and I just run it in very slowly. As I'm not having to lug buckets, I don't mind if it takes longer!

I do the same as eagles on my big tanks, and the only time I've ever had a problem was a few years ago I ran the water in too fast and sent my Congo tetras into shock; I didn't lose a fish though (did get a few more grey hairs, mind you; not recommended!).

If the weather is really cold, I add a few buckets of slightly warmer than tank temp, so nothing gets too chilled.

I'm with "fishcrazy". bucket it in, not so risky. If the temp drops too suddenly you will lose fish.  Even though you de-chlorinate the before putting the hose in, if the fish hang around the hose tip they are directly getting untreated water.  

I do use the bucket method for my smaller tanks but the largest tank needs six buckets for a WC and I have my back to think about!  Fortunately none of the fish in this tank hang around near the top, they all hide away at the bottom.

I cannot really think of a way you could use a python hose system that will give tank matched temps without using hot water from your hot water tank or without the bucket system.

Thinking that Eagles suggestion of having a very slow trickle of water from cold water tap over a period of time would be fine.

Just means its takes longer to do (and easier and cheaper since not heating water up etc :) ) but should be of no harm at all to your tank stocking if just a degree or two at most cooler than tank temp over a while. 

Get a 5 gallon bucket and an external heater. Fill the bucket and let it get to room temp this will get it much closer to tank temp. You can also run a eater and air for circulation to make it warmer faster. Set it up near the tank :)

When one boils water there is a side effect, it removes the KH. Boil enough and it can cause potential pH issues.

LoL..

I w/c with stone cold ro mix (65/35). It not an issue if you go down up to 10c. Temp going down is a sign of rainy season and will trick breading behaviours if you have right conditions ...

So many old wife tales in fish keeping...

Vin Swords said:
LoL..

I w/c with stone cold ro mix (65/35). It not an issue if you go down up to 10c. Temp going down is a sign of rainy season and will trick breading behaviours if you have right conditions ...

It can also trigger 'breeding'.
laugh.png

But, if you want bread... then I guess its all good.

TwoTankAmin said:
Get a 5 gallon bucket and an external heater. Fill the bucket and let it get to room temp this will get it much closer to tank temp. You can also run a eater and air for circulation to make it warmer faster. Set it up near the tank
smile.png

When one boils water there is a side effect, it removes the KH. Boil enough and it can cause potential pH issues.

My pH and KH are sky high so I reckon I can get away with adding a little boiled water per bucket.  That's what I did today as I don't have a spare heater since my hospital tank is currently in use.  Problem is I need to do it for six buckets not just one - which is a bit time consuming!

Vin Swords said:
LoL..

Maybe it depends on which species of fish you keep?  On the other hand I've got Fluttermoth telling me she sent her fish into shock - so I guess it is more complicated than it seems.

I know that I killed all the fish of one species with a temperature RISE when I accidentally set my heater to 35°C - but other species in the same tank survived.  They have different tolerances.  I know that the surviving fish in my tank can handle HIGH temperatures :lol: but I'm not sure how low they can go.
Another thing is that I change 50% of the water weekly so it has a bigger impact on tank temperature than somebody who changes, say, 25%.

eaglesaquarium said:
LoL..

It can also trigger 'breeding'. :lol:

But, if you want bread... then I guess its all good.
There.. The official clown has arrived.. LoL ( auto carrot mate.. Ain't got a hand in that mess.)

Vin Swords said:
There.. The official clown has arrived.. LoL ( auto carrot mate.. Ain't got a hand in that mess.)

Lol your auto 'carrot' is the clown :lol:

Most reactions

Back