Tds Tester

benthyer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So with my latest plan to adventure intot he world of shrimps and also the lack of knowledge on some of my water parameters I was looking for a TDS Tester.

I came across this and was wandering if anyone had used one before and what they though? Alternatively if you know of something better please let me know :)

Thanks

I use the same TDS meter as TTA has linked, bought if off eBay for about £5 or £6, cannot remember tbh,

Its a decent tds reader and also has temperature meter as well.

Be warned though, there are knock offs of this particular brand of TDS, ensure the logo HM Digital is on the meter and check carefully the sales site.

Thanks guys :)

I will have to wait a little longer before I can get one of those ones. Or maybe I could sell my kids......might even get enough for a new tank then 
rofl.gif

PS I was only joking about selling the kids

The GH of your source water will tell you what you need to know re the mineral content for shrimp.  If you are on municipal water, their website probably has the water data.  GH is general hardness, primarily the calcium and magnesium.  The pH can be a clue, as a high pH usually means harder water, but not always.

TDS includes all dissolved solids, the minerals plus organics, conditioners, fertilizers, substances added to the water, fish foods, etc.  But as I said, the minerals are the issue for shrimp as most species require calcium for their exoskeleton.

Byron.

Hi Byron,

The water where I live is hard and we have to constantly de scale things to stop them from clogging up!

I have previously looked at my water report but it doesn't state GH just does DH. I am also aware that my pH rises after all CO2 gases out.

You can find the report for my area here:

https://www.wessexwater.co.uk/postcoderesult/?postcode=Ba2%202ug

You might be able to make more sense of it than me but from what I can tell it seems to have plenty of calcium, I think :s

benthyer said:
Hi Byron,

The water where I live is hard and we have to constantly de scale things to stop them from clogging up!

I have previously looked at my water report but it doesn't state GH just does DH. I am also aware that my pH rises after all CO2 gases out.

You can find the report for my area here:

https://www.wessexwater.co.uk/postcoderesult/?postcode=Ba2%202ug

You might be able to make more sense of it than me but from what I can tell it seems to have plenty of calcium, I think
wacko.png

The dG is the GH.  dG is degrees German which is one of several measurement units used for GH.  I usually use dGH to be clear.  The degrees Clark and degrees French are two others given in that data.  In the hobby we tend to use either dGH or ppm (parts per million).  There is also mg/l which is the same as ppm.

So, you have hard water at 15 dGH.  Your shrimp will have no issues.

Just so you know, you can easily convert dGH to ppm and reverse, by multiplying or dividing by 17.9, so as an example, 15 dGH multiplied by 17.9 equals 268 ppm (which also equals 268 mg/l).  And in reverse, dividing 268 by 17.9 will give you 14.9 which is best thought of as 15 dGH.

You mention descaling, so I will just comment that water softeners are not good for fish or aquatic life.  Just thought I'd mention it, as many install a water softener to deal with hard water issues.  You cannot create good water for aquaria if it runs through a normal softener.

Byron.

Thanks Byron as always you have been really helpful and helped me learn something new.

I don't run my water through any softeners, we just have to descale the shower head and kettle from time to time with the descaling powders you can get. None of that stuff goes near my precious tank haha

Most reactions

Back