Tb In My Tank.

MJM966

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Wilder diagnosed TB in my tank and gave me a couple of links to read. (See Guppies Again in Emergencies).
Feeling a bit taken aback- have guppies, pristella tetras,cardinal tetras, a dwarf gourami, otos and corys in my tank- and am hoping that they will not be affected. It seems that some fish are more resistant than others?

What experience of this have you had. What did you do? What were the results?

Bump please help her out, never had it in my tank, thankfully.

More questions...have been reading up on Tb. Have also looked back at my fish diary (of deaths :sick: ). The last bent guppy was on 31st August. Other guppy deaths have been linked to tail rot- and this sudden epidemic began really on 13th January with a guppy getting thin and his tail disappearing before my eyes despite the use of pimafix and a very careful and thorough cleaning routine (since day 1 in May last year).

The other fish - 6 pristella tetras, 8 cardinals, 6 corys and 1 gourami seem fine, though I've noticed him flicking today. Jury is out on the 4 remaining guppies. 2 are in the pink - 1 has the beginnings of tail rot, the other has been sluggish but game for a week or so- no signs of fungus or tail rot. Aargh...

Stats are fine- 0 Nitrate, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, ph 7.

Does Tb in the tank mean that I wait until they're all dead - but they may be resistant to it - disinfect then restock, or should I wait for a month to see what happens then add fish likely to be more resitant to it?

Still looking for advice and opinions please!

Are the fish emaciated? If so, I don't think there is any hope for them.

I would most definitely sterilize the tank before adding new fish. Make sure you wear gloves as you are succeptible to it also.

How many gallons is the tank, as if its small I would buy another tank now and start fishless cycling it.
Then when it cycled use the old tank for a hospital tank.
But you would have to sterlise your equipment so the desease dosn't pass onto the new one.

Wilder diagnosed TB in my tank and gave me a couple of links to read. (See Guppies Again in Emergencies).
Feeling a bit taken aback- have guppies, pristella tetras,cardinal tetras, a dwarf gourami, otos and corys in my tank- and am hoping that they will not be affected. It seems that some fish are more resistant than others?

What experience of this have you had. What did you do? What were the results?

I lifted this straight from http://en.allexperts.com/q/Freshwater-Aquarium-3216/TB.htm don't know if youv'e seen this allready, hope it helps

Question
How do I diagnoise and cure TB. I think one of my fish might have it.
Thanks for your help!!

Answer
TB is a horrible disease. You will notice degenerative destruction of the overall fish's body. The fish might appear to be struggling with breathing. The only good thing is that it is not too contagious of a disease.

Overall here are all the things to look for.

Emaciation, hollow belly, possibly sores.
Tuberculosis is caused by the bacterium Mycobacterium piscium. Fish infected with tuberculosis may become hollow bellied, pale, show skin ulcers and frayed fins, and loss of appetite.

Cure is farily simple but doesn't always work. The best thing you can try is a combination of aquarium salt, STRESSCOAT and Tetracycline. I would give this a try first. Get back to me if things worsen.
Good Luck

Followups Are Very Welcome

At Your Service
Nick Kochelek

How many gallons is the tank, as if its small I would buy another tank now and start fishless cycling it.
Then when it cycled use the old tank for a hospital tank.
But you would have to sterlise your equipment so the desease dosn't pass onto the new one.

125l- a bit big for a hospital tank unfortunately. Wouldn't the disease spread again if I transferred the fish? Are you assuming that they will all die?

No some of them might make it.
It would be good to strip the tank down and get rid of your mature sponges as it will be in them.
Do you know anyone with a mature tank who could get you started again with mature sponges.

Tiberculois, is it that TB I'm thinking of. If my fish gets it am I at risk? Should I be worried? How does a fish get it? Oh my.................... I didn't know fish could get this.

Very rare for human to catch fish tb have to be exposed to it a long time.
Can catch it though cut and wounds.

No some of them might make it.
It would be good to strip the tank down and get rid of your mature sponges as it will be in them.
Do you know anyone with a mature tank who could get you started again with mature sponges.

No I don't. I could change both filters at once and add a big dose of Cycle I suppose. Might work if I didn't feed fish for a day or two?

I thought that Tb was incurable? See Davey Jones' post (Thanks). Would something like this product help? Aquafish 250 mg Tetracycline Antibiotic 100 Capsules

They say tetracycline and minocycline for tb.

Look under piscine tb.
http://www.fish-disease.net/diseases.htm

No, I must of been in contact with tb when I was little as I didn't need the tb jabs as my six pricks marks stayed for weeks.
You have to have a very weak immune system for it to kill you.

"Fish tuberculosis is not the same as the human disease of the same name."

I was a little freaked out.

Most reactions

Back