Tannins for My Betta Tank

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So I’ve started boiling and adding the tannins from IAL to my betta tank. My PH was a little high. I’ve always added a leaf here and there but never the tannins. I kind of like the look and the bettas seem to like it. Any way to get the tannins darker though? Can you overdose on them?

Wish my Oak tree would start dropping leaves. These IAL are getting expensive.

Your oak tree should start dropping leaves in the next few months. Then you can run around and collect them up.

You can get them for $7-8 for 20 large leaves. Better to collect Oak leaves.

I got 20 IAL from ebay. $10 shipped. They are very large leaves and will last a long time.

No, what are they? Pine cones?

Last edited:
I’m about to try them in my quarantine tank. There’s no fish in there and I got 60 for pretty cheap so I figured I’d see how they work. Supposedly they lower the ph a little bit “supposedly” wood does and I’ve never seen it actually happen so I’ll test it out. They release tannins in the water and give that black water look. I’ll test ph tomorrow to see if it did change anything. My lfs said a lot of people use them in shrimp tanks and have never had any issues. They are tiny, and I’ve attached a photo. Also can confirm they make water dark added a a soak picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 93
  • EF0EC4B0-1216-4A96-A618-56EA545F5CEA.jpeg
    EF0EC4B0-1216-4A96-A618-56EA545F5CEA.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Most reactions

Back