Tanks Question

Pyro

Reaction score
I'm about to start my Nano tank with an 125L tank, however yesterday I managed to buy on Ebay another tank of the same size. My question is - can I use the 2nd tank side-by-side with the other one as a sump? And if so how would I go about connecting them?

(PS - total noob to the plumbing side of things.)

Side by side would be impratical if one was to be used as a sump.

You would want to place one under the other. Even this could be problematic due to the lower/sump tank needing to house all your hardware. On most occasions the lower tank is smaller LxW wise so when you hang a skimmer on the side, have plugs ans switches etc... all still fits neatly in the cabinet/stand. Now if you were to build an oversize stand for your tank, then you would have the space. Also, building your own stand will allow you to make it a little taller than standard which is a boon because it will be easier to work on your sump and such.

On the plumbing. A drilled tank is the best way to go. You should consider taking the tank to a glass shop and having a hole or two put in it. This will give you the most trouble free method. We can extrapolate further on this if you decide to go this way.

The other way to go is to use an overflow box on the back of the tank. IT siphons water out and sends it below. The rub here is, by the time you buy the box abd an auqualifter to make it as trouble free as possible, you will probably have a larger investment the drilling it in the first place, and it won't be as trouble free.

GL

You could have them side by side, a friend has a similar thing. He uses one side as a refugium for growing species of calurpa, the other side is his 'reef'.

Two holes are drilled in each tank, then connected together using pvc pipe.

This has many benefits, the main one being all the pods etc. in the refugium can naturally migrate into the main display without being mashed up by a return pump.

Well the drain will level the two tanks out. Pump water into one tank, a drilled through drain brings it back to the other... Gravity = good :good:

well they are, but as soon as you pump water from one tank to the other you create a head differential and the siphon goes to work. As long as the pump cannot do more work than the siphon you're in great shape :D

Most reactions

Back