Tankmates For My Male Betta

MrsHennesy87

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
ok so i have a male betta in a 2.65 gallon tank. it seems like plain and boring in there. just curious as to if i can out tank mates in with him in this sized tank and if so how many and what kind? any advice would be awesome

technically speaking a tank of your size shouldnt have anything else in it. A betta should be housed in a slightly larger tank to be honest. A 5 gallon minimum really. As you have 2.65 gallons, its almost too small for him. So sorry but no tankmates plz.

I figured I couldn't put anymore fish cuz of the size just wanted to be sure. What about ghost shrimp though?

thanks for all the different advice. he seems to be happy already i may just get him a small hut or something and leave him alone.

he seems super happy and healthy in what hes in so far. he does bubble nest all the time. if he starts to seem unhappy ill upgrade. thanks for the help

Betta and companions are hit and miss. Its really up to the fish

If you want to get him some company use a mirror and face it to him, he will flare but do it no longer than 5 mins because he will be very stressed out

Your tank size is fine and the fish is happy so your right not to worry about up sizing the tank atm. The mirror idea is a good one as it gives your betta exercise and it also gives you 5 mins of seeing you lovely fish show of to his best, but as has been said not more than 5 mins otherwise you could cause blown fins. I know it sounds silly as these lil guys are always in tanks next to each other but its a regular thing. Happy Betta keeping :)

I have mine in a 10gallon with a small school of Harlequins...He is very happy. You might upgrade to a bigger tank simply to increase the happiness of your betta. Trust me, You will not regret it if you do :p

This is just a quick question before i log off my pc nd no research has gone into this....

can i put 2 x zebra danios with my betta?

My Bettas use cool decorations as tank mates!
They each have their own little theme...
One of my females has a little Asian temple that she floats around like a dragon, one female has all shiny sea shells as her theme. One of my males has a mermaid, and another has the coolest statue of Ursula from the little mermaid in his!

If you do cool decorating it keeps things fun!

This is just a quick question before i log off my pc nd no research has gone into this....

can i put 2 x zebra danios with my betta?

Zebra Danios are FAST swimmers and Bettas are super slow in comparison! My Zebras are long fins, but they are still super fast and always zipping from one end of the long tank to the other... They are a fish that really should be in a tank with lots of swimming room! Zebra Danios are also a shoaling fish, they like to be in groups of 5 or more! And when in smaller groups are known to nip fins on other fish... When in bigger groups they tend to only pick on eachother, and can't seem to keep track of who they are quarreling with, because they are always sorting some new thing out. I started out with 5 and bred them... I now have 12... The bigger groups are definitely more fun to watch, and make less trouble with their tankmates.

Most reactions

Back