Tankmates For Angelfish?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dreamer03

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I just finished cycling a 90 gallon tank and I want to get angelfish, I have taken care of angelfish before but I have never put any tank mates with them. Any recommendations? I have been told that neon tetras are fine if they are put in tank when the angelfish are still small, is that true?

hmm maybe some corycats or live bearers? I've heard that neons tetras are the natural food for angelfish in the wild so I would guess that once the neons could fit in the angel fishes' mouth, that's where they're going.

You could try that but it could end up not working out. I personally wouldn't >.<

Rummy nose tetras I've heard can work, though you may want to get fully grown ones or small angels.
Diamond tetras look lovely to me and I believe should be big enough to not get eaten.

Two I'm unsure of but think look quite nice are Emperor Tetra & Buenos Aires tetra.

Sterbai cories may be nice as well since they like it a little warm.

I have lace gourmis in with my angels with no problems at all

i think there is a couple of dwarf rainbows that would be ok
eagleaquarium recommended one in another thread but it was a while ago and i can't remember which one it was and i asked whether dwarf neon rainbows would be ok and he said they would
i've also heard that the neon tetra are a natural food sorce in the wild, some people have had success with them in the same tank but others have not, bit of a gamble really.

I wouldn't put neons in with angels they'll just slowly vanish. Basically any bigger fish that can't fit in their mouth as long as you have plenty of hiding spots and as long as the fish you put in aren't fin nippers, you don't want any damage to your angel.

I have neons and angels....no issues.

The neon shoal is big enough to offer natural protection; but to be honest the angels don't take any notice of them.

My stock is in my sig.....

If I do get the neons I will probably get a large amout of them. BUt I was thining of gogin with the rummynoses if not. But the diamond tetras do call my attention. Cories might be a good diea too... And wlel I do plan on getting the angels has small as possible.

Most reactions

Back