Tank With Java Moss

Lexie3787

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ok so as of today my 2.5 gallon has java moss with sand in it. It is going to be my fry tank as soon as my platies "pop." Is there any type of cleaner that I could put just to keep it neat, that wont eat fry, and that will be happy in a 2.5 gallon?

I used to have the cory catfish in my takn with guppy/molly fry and they did no hard. The Bristlenose catfish would be good as it would get rid of the algae for you.

I've found apple snails to be brilliant wee cleaners for small tanks, they don't produce much waste and wont eat any of your fry :)

not apple snails, they also lay their eggs above the water line so it's easy enough to spot them and remove them before they hatch ;)

A 2.5 gal would be OK for about 10-15 fry and the cleaning would be so often that an algea eater would be redundant. An Apple snail may work if you are concerned about an algea problem but may not be needed.

It depends on the size of the snail really :) You probally wont have a problem with algea in a tank of that size but the snail does help clean up any left over food aswell, which is helpful with messy fry ;) .
I'd probally go for just the one, but try and get a really good sized snail, maybe around the 1" size :)

It depends on the size of the snail really :) You probally wont have a problem with algea in a tank of that size but the snail does help clean up any left over food aswell, which is helpful with messy fry ;) .
I'd probally go for just the one, but try and get a really good sized snail, maybe around the 1" size :)
Thanks

Ottos dont fit in a 2.5 gallon do they? I think Ill go for ghost shrimp as long as they dont eat fry.

ottos max size is 3cm.but if u want u need at least 3 to keeep them happy.ghost i think they are not as efficient on algae than otos but they eat left overs too.U can get both if u want

Most reactions

Back