Tank water evaporation

Jimmy120883

Reaction score
My tank water level keeps falling quite rapidly at the moment all of a sudden.
I presume that it's evaporating because I've recently purchased a Fluval aquasky 2.0 and cut out the old light from the lid so the light from the aquasky can light up the tank.
Is there anything I can do too slow the evaporation? It must be evaporating about 1cm every couple of days.

Does your tank have a glass top? That might help.
No, it has the original lid the tank came with and the lighting unit built into it, however when I got the aquasky I cut out the old unit and it left a gap for the aquasky light too lightnup the tank.
Where could I get a glass top from?

Measure the space and check a glass shop.

Yes, a glass shop should do it but you may do just as well sealing around the light.

Glass is great for covering a tank but you need to use spacers to lift it off of the tank a little or it will end up sliding around. If you do glass make sure to use safety or tempered glass.

There are actually a number of detriments to evaporating tank water so it is best to lessen this to almost none. There should always be a glass (or similar) divider between the water and any light as well.

Yes, a glass shop should do it but you may do just as well sealing around the light.

Glass is great for covering a tank but you need to use spacers to lift it off of the tank a little or it will end up sliding around. If you do glass make sure to use safety or tempered glass.
Should add that the spacers also are needed to allow electrical cords and air lines. If the glass happened to have cutouts to allow for such lines the spacers would probably not be needed.

No, it has the original lid the tank came with and the lighting unit built into it, however when I got the aquasky I cut out the old unit and it left a gap for the aquasky light too lightnup the tank.
Where could I get a glass top from?
I got a couple of Aqueon brand covers from Petco. Those have a strip of vinyl attached that you can cut to fit your filter or cables or tubing.

Most reactions

Back