tank water clear... gravel has a brown slime

snowbirdmo62

Reaction score
-_- Quick question.... why is my tank gravel collecting a brown nasty color on it? I have tested my water, and everything is normal, my water is clear, but my gravel just keeps getting worse everyday. I hate to keep cleaning my gravel all the time, any suggestions? I realize it is probably algae, but why is it collecting on the gravel so bad?

I associate the brown slime with 'good aerobic bacteria'. Are you vacuuming the gravel lightly when you do water changes? I find a lot of slime on the glass at the point where the gravel meets the glass. This I remove with a clean paper towel or sponge. I'm sure others will offer suggestions also.

I have the same exact problem in my 10G non planted tank. There is a bristlenose catfish in there. He keeps the glass pretty clean but the purple gravel is slowly turning into brown gravel. I'd like to know how to get it clean also. Thanks.

this happened to me i decided to take the gravel out and try and clean it - big mistake since then i think i stressed my fish too much and they died!! i would recommend getting a algae eater of some kind i have been recommended a dawrf plec which dont grow as big as a common plec if u have a smaller tank such as mine so probs the gravel will sort out itself im sure people with more knowledge than me will help you just siphon the gravel once a week i think

fishyfoo said:
this happened to me i decided to take the gravel out and try and clean it - big mistake since then i think i stressed my fish too much and they died!! i would recommend getting a algae eater of some kind i have been recommended a dawrf plec which dont grow as big as a common plec if u have a smaller tank such as mine so probs the gravel will sort out itself im sure people with more knowledge than me will help you just siphon the gravel once a week i think
Well it wasn't so much that you stressed your fish out by cleaning the gravel as by killing off all your beneficial bacteria that live in the gravel.

A dwarf plec is an idea if you have a tank larger than 10 US gals - clown plecs and bristlenose plecs being the most commonly available. They grow to 3-4" at adulthood. However, they do require a little bogwood or driftwood to nibble.

Other kinds of catfish will eat brown slime algae, especially ottos. Cherry barbs will have a nibble, as will mollies. But if space is really at a premium, an apple snail would do a good job, or maybe a FW shrimp (not in a puffer tank, of course).

Most reactions

Back