Tank upgrade 15G --> 30G I got Questions!!!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Larry Licata

Reaction score
Peeps,
I have a 15g tank that is well cycled and I ordered a 30 Gal Tank / Stand / Hood Combo. I plan on setting the 30G up slowly and giving plenty of time to establish a healthy bio-cycle. I have a few questions. I think that eventually I will move all residents from the 15 to the 30.
I would like to have the same community tank that you helped me re-establish (Tetras / Ember Tetras / Cory ) But since I have a tank that is double the size I am not sure how to extend my neighborhood. I want a Peaceful Community. If you were to start with a clean tank, what would you put in?
I have yet to purchase a filter.. Should I go canister or standard power waterfall style filter? any suggestions on brand / model?
Should I be adding undergravel or some powerheads to move water around? I do have a few air pumps so I can always add in bubble wands and bubble disks.
Now the fun part! Decorations! I need some real pretty examples of tank set ups if there are websites with examples, please let me know what they are. I dont think i have the patience for live plants. I have a black thumb. :) :)

Thank you for all your continued help.!
Larry L.

I cant read most of that but if you have a new tank and an established tank, just take half the filter media from the old filter and put it in the new filter. Instant cycled tank.

don't waste your time cycling another tank if you already have an established one.

If you don't intend keeping the 15 gallon, you can move all the media from that tank into the new tank.

I’m not sure how many fish you have, so that would effect my answer..but peaceful guys might be ghost shrimp, mystery snails, or just bigger tetra schools. Congrats on the upgrade!
if I can make a suggestion, it might be a good time to expand live plants

I agree on the sponge filter, or something similar. Aqueon have a range of smaller internal filters that I have become fond of. Aqueon Quiet Flow internal filter, it comes in several sizes from 10g up to 40g. It is basically a sponge filter with a motor so no air pump is needed, and you can adjust the flow to get good surface disturbance. The cartridges can just be rinsed and never replaced. If you have quiet non-active fish (like you have now in the 15g) you do not need strong currents, so in the 30g the filter for a 20g or 30g would be OK.

Can you also give us the source water parameters, namely GH and pH. And the existing fish that are going in to the new tank so we are clear.

Now the fun part! Decorations! I need some real pretty examples of tank set ups if there are websites with examples, please let me know what they are. I dont think i have the patience for live plants. I have a black thumb. :) :)

You can get some tank setup ideas from our Tank of the Month contests. Each entry has a pic as well as a description of their setup. Here is February's contest. There are many other examples in previous months too. https://www.fishforums.net/threads/...bruary-2020-tank-of-the-month-contest.456322/

I agree on the sponge filter, or something similar. Aqueon have a range of smaller internal filters that I have become fond of. Aqueon Quiet Flow internal filter, it comes in several sizes from 10g up to 40g. It is basically a sponge filter with a motor so no air pump is needed, and you can adjust the flow to get good surface disturbance. The cartridges can just be rinsed and never replaced. If you have quiet non-active fish (like you have now in the 15g) you do not need strong currents, so in the 30g the filter for a 20g or 30g would be OK.

Can you also give us the source water parameters, namely GH and pH. And the existing fish that are going in to the new tank so we are clear.
This is a great Idea.. I will test my 15G and post up some details. I do know that my water is hard.

I’m not sure how many fish you have, so that would effect my answer..but peaceful guys might be ghost shrimp, mystery snails, or just bigger tetra schools. Congrats on the upgrade!
I would need to find a good place to buy plants... my LFS is not really all that good.

Current tank:
3 black tetras
3 red ember tetras
3 cory cats....

I was going to add to the 15g some more, but since I am upgrading, I will hold off and populate when I get the tank set up. I do like your idea on adding to small #s That is a really good idea to making the small #s a school....

Last edited:
What species is the "black tetra?"

Current tank:
3 black tetras
3 red ember tetras
3 cory cats....

I was going to add to the 15g some more, but since I am upgrading, I will hold off and populate when I get the tank set up. I do like your idea on adding to small #s That is a really good idea to making the small #s a school....
Definitely add more all of these fish should be at least 6 if possible more

Most reactions

Back