Tank Too Warm

madmom

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was thinking of putting a lunch-pack ice-pack in a plastic bag in the tank. It takes about 6-7 hours for it to defrost so I will not have to run back and forth with new ones just keep watch on the temperature. Do you think it will work?

How high is the temp, as sometimes just best leaving it.

I was thinking of putting a lunch-pack ice-pack in a plastic bag in the tank. It takes about 6-7 hours for it to defrost so I will not have to run back and forth with new ones just keep watch on the temperature. Do you think it will work?

Cant you just turn the heater down? Is it really that hot? Ive never in my life heard of anyone useing icepacks to cool their tank off...

Wilder; right now it's 78 degrees. Light and heater are off. If I leave the light off it doesnt go above 82 right now. I'm wondering about later this summer. Temps here reach upper 90's to low 100's occasionally. I can't put in air conditioning due to allergies and I'm worried the tank temp will increase as summer hits.

hi
my friend had this problem last summer,in the end they lifted up the lid and had a fan blowing across the water surface.

I'll try that. I'll have to put in some netting around the tank since I've already had a fish suicide by jumping out of the tank while my daughter was feeding them. Her face was level with the opening and it hit her dead on the nose. She jumped yelled and stepped on the poor thing.

I'll try that. I'll have to put in some netting around the tank since I've already had a fish suicide by jumping out of the tank while my daughter was feeding them. Her face was level with the opening and it hit her dead on the nose. She jumped yelled and stepped on the poor thing.

Sounds like my Dwarf frog. While trying to take him out of the bag from the LFS (I have a bag in one hand and the net with the frog in the other) my daughter says make sure you cover the net so he does not jump out (as stated above I have no hands left) and as soon as she says it he jumps out right onto the floor. So now I drop said bag and net and start searching the floor for him. Luckily no one stepped on him and we got him in the tank.

How warm can water get before there is cause to worry. It gets 90+ inside in the summer here, but only in the daytime. 85 at night.
Thank,
WC

thanx people;
I'll wait and watch the temperatures in the tank and try the fan bit.
Madmom

I know exactly how you feel. I live in Alabama, and it gets 96 and above. Depending on what you have, you can live OK at about 82 or 83. some fish HATE temps that high though. In a worst case scenario, I fill up a ziploc or two with ice and float them about in the tank. I usually leave them about 30 minutes to three quarters of an hour.drops the water about 6 degrees, more if you change out the ice.

The problem with ice is that is dosn't cool the tank for long so the temp is just going up and down all the time stressing the fish.

WHAT EVER YOU DO DONT PUT ICE PACKS IN YOUR TANK. You can always take half your water out of your tank and had cold water.Check your heaters working right and also if your room temperature is high that could be causing the problem to.Hope this helps you abit

I have this problem in my Via aqua 620 tank, i found ice packs no good. like wilder says the effects are short lived + i was always worried they would squash a fish. Now i leave the lid open as much as possible, leave the lights off while the temps up & turn on my ceiling fan on this all works a treat for me

Most reactions

Back