Tank temp drop as my garage door is being painted, will this harm my fish?

SAChichlidLover

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
My garage door is being painted and the painters have opened the door which I never open because I know my tank temp will drop but anyways my tank went from 24 degrees c to 21c, the fish don't seem very bothered by it at the moment but I'm worried they will start to not be able to tolerate it as well. Luckily I have a water change schedueled right after the door has been painted so that will raise the temp :(

What fish are they? Most fish have a surprisingly wide range of parameters when it comes to temperature. As long as they're not kept outside their recommended range for long periods and doesn't drop below 18c should be ok

What fish are they? Most fish have a surprisingly wide range of parameters when it comes to temperature. As long as they're not kept outside their recommended range for long periods and doesn't drop below 18c should be ok
Severums, heckelii, firemouths, bolivian rams, synodontis and tetras but I have turned my heater up just in case so hopefully that keeps it at 21° for the time being thanks so much for the fast reply I’ve never experienced a bad temperiture drop in all the years I’ve kept fish which is weird haha

look at you the fishroom door (not garage) is being painted lol

the fish should be ok but the paint fumes are more of a problem. again this should be lessened due to fishroom door being open

the planned wc will also help with any fumes absorbed by the water

As long as the change in temperature is not sudden, ie a water change where the new water isnt temperature matched, as that can cause stress.

Good shout by cdelly about the fumes. Check the paint tin if it says 'high in VOCs' (volatile something or other..). If high VOCs and the room stinks of paint, then try and ventilate as much as possible, open another window or door. Obviously make sure the lid is on the fish tank.

look at you the fishroom door (not garage) is being painted lol

the fish should be ok but the paint fumes are more of a problem. again this should be lessened due to fishroom door being open

the planned wc will also help with any fumes absorbed by the water
Haha the amazing fishroom to be lol!

Luckily there is no smell from the paint and the tank is actually quite far back from the door that was painted but I've left it a bit open to make sure no fumes linger and decide to mutate all my fish lol!

Luckily my lid was shut thank god haha.

As long as the change in temperature is not sudden, ie a water change where the new water isnt temperature matched, as that can cause stress.

Good shout by cdelly about the fumes. Check the paint tin if it says 'high in VOCs' (volatile something or other..). If high VOCs and the room stinks of paint, then try and ventilate as much as possible, open another window or door. Obviously make sure the lid is on the fish tank.
Hmm I don't think it was and everything is acting normal (still being begged for food even though they had tasty bloodworms this morning) I'll have to ask the lady who painted it if it has high VOCs or whatnot but judging by the fresh air smell it seems to be not too bad, still going to do my weekly 50% wc in about an hour or so when I can actually fully shut the damn door because the fish might be lucky enough to be in 21 degrees but I'm not! ?

They should be ok. You can adjust the heater higher in the tanks, if it’s cold outside.

I would be most worried about the paint fumes, but you said you got that covered. ;)

They should be ok. You can adjust the heater higher in the tanks, if it’s cold outside.

I would be most worried about the paint fumes, but you said you got that covered. ;)
Yeah luckily the door is a bit open and there isn't any fumes as far as I'm aware anyways haha. Phew I feel like I've just dodged a bullet here haha

Most reactions

Back