tank stocking question

Kendramc

Reaction score
i have a thirty gallon, established tank that i'm working on restocking. gH is around 120, for what that is worth. the tank is also lightly planted, mostly java ferns, a few other easy plants.

current occupants are:
1 bristlenose pleco
1 dwarf gourami
4 gold barbs

it looks like i will be getting a glofish tetra (not something i would buy, but it needs to be rehomed). my understanding is that glofish tetras are GMO black skirt tetra, who prefer to be in a group. should i plan on getting a few of them to keep it company?

also, is 4 gold barbs enough? i know they prefer groups too. and would i have room for anything else after this?

There are also glo x-ray tetras nowadays (they refer to them as pristellas). But the usual ones are indeed skirt tetras. These can be nippy fish so a large group is advisable. In theory they should mix OK with both non-glo versions of skirt tetra, black and white.

Hm, if it were me, I'd ditch the glo tetras (I don't like GMO fish; they kind of creep me out) and get a few more gold barbs. I've been told that they do better in small groups than most barbs, but they'll be happier with more friends.

Most reactions

Back