Tank Stocking Check - Adivce And Suggestions

Sayuri

Reaction score
I'm after some advice on stocking my new tank to make sure I'm not overstocked and that I'm picking the right species/numbers of fish for maximum fish happiness/visual impact!

Current plan is:

Tank Dimensions: L 103cm x D 49cm x H 62cm (260l / 70g)

5 x Platy (Already have)
5 x Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish (Already have)
15 x Ember Tetra (Have 9)
6 x Dwarf Chain Loach (Have 3)
2 x Bristlenose Pleco (Have 1)
15 x Rummynose Tetra
6 x Zebra Loach
3 x Amano Shrimp

Would the tank be about fully stocked then or overstocked?

Will the tank look empty in the middle and top with having so many loaches?

Any other suggestions that may work better?

I have sand substrate for the loaches, driftwood for the plecs and live plants.

I'm after some advice on stocking my new tank to make sure I'm not overstocked and that I'm picking the right species/numbers of fish for maximum fish happiness/visual impact!

Current plan is:

Tank Dimensions: L 103cm x D 49cm x H 62cm (260l / 70g)

5 x Platy (Already have)
5 x Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish (Already have)
15 x Ember Tetra (Have 9)
6 x Dwarf Chain Loach (Have 3)
2 x Bristlenose Pleco (Have 1)
15 x Rummynose Tetra
6 x Zebra Loach
3 x Amano Shrimp

Would the tank be about fully stocked then or overstocked?

Will the tank look empty in the middle and top with having so many loaches?

Any other suggestions that may work better?

I have sand substrate for the loaches, driftwood for the plecs and live plants.

Sounds good to me :good: You could go for a Wood/Singapore flower/Bamboo shrimp in place of the Amanos if you like.

Thanks, I had a look at some other types of Shrimp and really liked the yellow shrimp too. Never seen them over here though unfortunatly, only amano and red cherrys around here!
Is 3 shrimp enough for them to be happy?

Would my tank be fully stocked at this level then? The OH is wanting one or two 'specimin' fish after seeing some german gold rams at the LFS. I think rams sound a bit difficult but anything else that would add a splash of colour, isn't as difficult as rams but is still a bit different that anyone can recommend (assuming it will fit!)

Thanks, I had a look at some other types of Shrimp and really liked the yellow shrimp too. Never seen them over here though unfortunatly, only amano and red cherrys around here!
Is 3 shrimp enough for them to be happy?

Would my tank be fully stocked at this level then? The OH is wanting one or two 'specimin' fish after seeing some german gold rams at the LFS. I think rams sound a bit difficult but anything else that would add a splash of colour, isn't as difficult as rams but is still a bit different that anyone can recommend (assuming it will fit!)

how bout some blue eyed Furcata, or maybe Threadfin rainbows?

They both look like interesting fish and are something I never would have thought of by myself!

Being rainbowfish I'm assuming I would need a group of at least 5 so would that be okay for my tank in terms of stocking levels?

Just love the dwarf chain loaches. Altho they are bottom feeders my 4 always seem to be in the mid part of the tank scavenging off the plant leaves.

Just love the dwarf chain loaches. Altho they are bottom feeders my 4 always seem to be in the mid part of the tank scavenging off the plant leaves.

Yeah I think they are my favourite fish in there, such great little personalities.

They have figured out that flake food and bloodworm is tasty so every feeding time they are chasing off the other fish and taking all the flake from the surface as well as bloodworm from my fingers! Is great watching them trying to swim vertically or upside down to snag it! Mine love hanging about on my larger Anubias too.

I really want more but having trouble getting hold of them nearby.

Yeah I think they are my favourite fish in there, such great little personalities.

They have figured out that flake food and bloodworm is tasty so every feeding time they are chasing off the other fish and taking all the flake from the surface as well as bloodworm from my fingers! Is great watching them trying to swim vertically or upside down to snag it! Mine love hanging about on my larger Anubias too.

I really want more but having trouble getting hold of them nearby.

Have to agree on the personality. They are so funny to watch. Not sure if you are in the UK but I managed to get mine from Maidenhead Aquatics.

Have to agree on the personality. They are so funny to watch. Not sure if you are in the UK but I managed to get mine from Maidenhead Aquatics.

Oh thats great thanks :good: I'm in Bristol and theres a Maidenhead Aquatics near Keynsham I think so I'll check them out!

Thanks again!

Thanks so much for mentioning Maidenhead, just been down and picked myself up another 3 dwarf chain loaches!

They are currently doing the mad dash around the tank that they seem to do when new :blush: so cute!

Most reactions

Back