Tank Sizes

kiriyama

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hi at the moment I have an Elite 95ltr tank, 30"long, 12" deep , 18"high(?)
If I can replace it I really just want more floor space, was thinking 30"long,15" or 18" deep, 12" high or 36" long , 15" or 18" deep by 12" high, main concern is the tank is in a bedroom so don't want it to carsh through to doen stairs, weight is a big factor, any suggestions , help , info?
Any correspondence greatly appreciated......... :good: :good:

Its NOT a weight "thing" its where and how its sited...

Imagine a 20 stone girl stands on your foot, and she is wearing wellington boots - might hurt a bit, right ? Now she does the same thing wearing stiletto heels ! :shout:
Same weight, but smaller "contact area"

Depending on you floor layout (wooden floor boards, concrete etc) you have to plan accordingly... a wooden floor would need the weight spread out - traditional metal stands have 4 SMALL contacts on the floor - resulting in massive loads at these points, so would "bite" through the floor over time.
Also siting plays a part... if the tank feet are on top of joists then you are fine, else I would place the stand on a pair of spreaders (metal or wood timbers that spread the load)

Concrete floors are less fussy, but better safe than sorry - I would still spread the load, unless the stand already HAS a wide contact point !

Rooster has made some valid observations about the need to distribute the weight of a fish tank but most flooring in use these days will take care of that aspect of things. The typical plywood subfloors are quite strong against a punching force. The skinny legs more often will damage the finish on a floor than penetrate it. The total weight of the tank can also be a significant factor if you go with one of the larger tanks. The concept that people use of the tank weighing less than a person is almost meaningless. People don't stand in one spot for years on end the way a tank does, so they don't gradually bend and distort the flooring the way that a tank can. As far as getting more surface without extending the length or height of a tank, that is the reason that "breeder" tanks are made. I have 3 tanks of all about the same volume. One is a 45 gallon long tank. It is a full 4 feet long, not very tall and not very deep. I have a 45 gallon tall that is only 3 feet long, about a foot from front to back and almost 2 feet tall. My last tank in that range is a 40 gallon breeder. It is also 3 feet long but 16 inches front to back and again not very tall. Although all 3 weigh about the same when full, the shapes can make a big difference in how the fish use them and how they look for showing off the fish. The breeder is a very practical shape, the long is great for larger fish that need a long swimming space, while the tall tank is very showy. Each serves its own purpose.

Most reactions

Back