Tank Size Question

jurme

Reaction score
I was qondering what would be appropriate dimensions for a tank im making for 3 oscars?

HUGE. I'd say for 3 Oscars with no tankmates 150ukgal as an absolute minimum and you will need about 6-10x turnover for filtration.

I'm going to have 2 in 150 UK gal (6x2x2) - with carefully chosen tankmates and massive filtration.

I think 3 is asking for trouble though, even in a big tank, the smallest/weakest is highly likely to get bullied.

Even 2 together will not always work and even O's that grow up together can start fighting as they approach maturity (anything from 8" onwards)

HUGE. I'd say for 3 Oscars with no tankmates 150ukgal as an absolute minimum and you will need about 6-10x turnover for filtration.

I'm going to have 2 in 150 UK gal (6x2x2) - with carefully chosen tankmates and massive filtration.

I think 3 is asking for trouble though, even in a big tank, the smallest/weakest is highly likely to get bullied.

Even 2 together will not always work and even O's that grow up together can start fighting as they approach maturity (anything from 8" onwards)

yeah agreed

("thus you shall go to the stars";

Three oscars would and is quite difficult to master mate, best to go for a 5 or 6foot/2/2foot, then get a group of 5-6 oscars, then grow them up and wait for a pair to form, then rehome the rest immidiatly, otherwise it may go wrong, which unless your cleaning and waterchanging daily to keep water conditions perfect then stay clear as its very very very hard work, trust me been there,

thanks for the help,i only have one oscar as of right now, so prehaps i'll keep it that way, however i would want there to be other fish in the tank, so i'll have to ask what may be suitable tankmates?

and also, back to my original question.... I'm making a tank, so im not looking for the standard dimensions of a 150 gal. tank, but the ideal footprint and hieght, keeping in mind im not building a swimming pool.

1 oscar and some nice yank mayes size wise I'd say 6ft long 2 ft front to back and 2 ft high 6x2x2 will give u a nice size tank for 1 oscar and tank mates.

I have 5 silver dollars with my oscar(s) moving all on now but that's a different story.

Well O's become aggressive at 3" cause my Aunt bought 2 at 2" and a 1" later, one was dead. 1" later means about a week.

i would say you could keep a lone oscar in a 5 x 2 x 2. i would go for fish such as tinfoils. and a large pleco. but make sure you run either a pro 3 eheim or an fx5, as these fish are very messy!

Most reactions

Back