Tank Separation

zippa

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
ive had my tropical fish for a few weeks now. i knew i wanted a betta male but didnt really know a great deal about them. well i got him yesterday and ive allready decided i want more. but i have learned that i cant add no more in the same tank. i was wondering if someone could give me some info on tank separation. how it works if its possible for my tank. i have 1 male betta, 4 neons, 4 barbs and 2 albino catfish. if you check out my details youll see the tank. tia

You'd be better off investing in a seperate tank for your fighter. Bettas aren't very good community fish and you may end up finding that the Neons nip at his fins.

ive been warned about that. so far they have steered clear of him. if it does happen they will have to go. its dereks tank now lol

You could get a nice little 5 gallon set up for about £40 and he'll love it!
Some people have been lucky keeping fighters in a community tank but sometimes it can take months for disaster to happen. Just keep an eye out and if there are any problems then seperate them. :good:

Forgot to say, what a beautiful Betta you have. His colours are amazing... :drool:

thank you. i wont tell him though incase it goes to his head

personally i have kept bettas in communities for ages now and not many problems have occured, and most of then have been from other fish towards the bettas, the bettas been fine.neons are usally fine, sometime they nip, what barbs do you have, i really hope not tiger barbs, they are a really bad choice for bettas.
and the catfish are fine with bettas.
as for wanting more betta, congratualtions, you have been bitten by the betta bug.lol
cheapest way is buying small 5 gallon tanks with heaters/filters/lights etc and set them up, usally you can make then look real nice with plants or themes such as a "zen garden" or whatever.
and with the bettas, maybe some ottos and shrimps.

cherry barbs. ive heard from a few different sources that there ok and that they nip. but like ive said its dereks tank now so if i spot any shinanigans there out of there lol

cherry barbs are usally fine.
like you said, if anything should happen, you can always move the betta
for a temporarly measure (certainly not for long periods) if the bettas becomming aggressive and say its saturday evening andf the fish shops closed (and closed tomorrow) the betta could live in one of those breeding nets for a day or two, till you get sorted.

Most reactions

Back