Tank Advice

talisker

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hi everyone ,i've not kept fish for about 20 years and have just returned and i am looking to buy a new tank, i was originally going to buy a juwel lido 120 as i don't have a lot of space.
but ive seen a used aquaone "Aquience 650s" which would just about fit and it's a fair bit bigger 220 ltr, i've never heard of the make before...are they any good ? it also comes with a external canister filter, i was going to buy a new tank but i can get this one at a very good price and it's just under a year old.
is there anything i should look out for.

Hi there talisker and Welcome to TFF! :hi:

Bigger is better when it comes to water chemistry and getting restarted on all the basics. I don't know that particular brand/model of tank/filter (hopefully one of our members will) but I can say that being able to go bigger (within reason) is usually better in many ways. I'd work on describing the filter, perhaps also trying our hardware and diy section.

The luckier thing for you is discovering this particular place, its really great for "re-beginners" as there's a ton of change in the hobby and the members here are really good about sharing info and getting each other up to speed, to the benefit of the fish and tanks.

~~waterdrop~~

IME, tank "kits" that come with a filter (and other equipment) included, are not the best way to go. usually the filter is very basic, and not very good quality. its usually a little bit cheaper to buy the "kit" rather than buy the proper equipment individually, but at what cost?
im a firm believer in "you get what you pay for", and would highly suggest spending a little extra on the initial set up, to save from headaches and problems later on. you also get to pick the stuff you want, rather than being stuck with whats included.

also, as waterdrop said, have a look around the DIY section. lots of great info in there. much of which can also help you save some money on your tank. :good:

ok thx guys, i've done a bit of searching on the net and it seems like it's a decent enough make and the filter is an external canister filter and there are spares available for it, it seems a bit of a odd size but will suit the space i've got ,it's a complete cube shape the dimensions are 25"x25"x25" and holds 220 ltr's
i'll try and get a look at it in the next few days :)

Good grief! I can tell you why they're selling it! Have you ever tried to work with plants and maintenance 25 inches down? Try creating a bar to reach over as if it were a tank side and you are trying to reach down with your bent elbow, see if you can do things 23 to 24 inches down where the substrate will be.

Not saying you couldn't make it work but just that you want to go into it with your eyes open. You might have to manipulate things with "reach" tools. They do make them, certainly for planted tanks.

Now the other side of the coin is that this height would be great for tall fish, perhaps some angels or other fish that like a tall tank. Square is also nice in that it gives a good feeling of depth when you look in.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back