Tailless guppies

Sonnycbr

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 30L planted Nano tank that I started a few months ago with a few snails and a pair of breeding guppies. Since then, the female has given birth 3 times, so there are about 20 fry of varying sizes in the tank. About half of the latest group have no tails. Where their tails should be is just a point.
I should also add that I add 1ml of liquid carbon a day to prevent algae and feed the plants.
Could it be the liquid carbon? I would've thought that it would have affected all the fish.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

If you´re able to post some pics of them overhere, maybe more resolute answers can be given...

Here are a couple of them. The tank is heavily planted so I couldn’t take a pic in there.

Attachments

• C08F41B6-B5FB-48FC-80B4-9E520D23CED6.jpeg
    C08F41B6-B5FB-48FC-80B4-9E520D23CED6.jpeg
    478.7 KB · Views: 71
  • AF65B237-51F4-4CDC-A200-0B57CABA8F7A.jpeg
    AF65B237-51F4-4CDC-A200-0B57CABA8F7A.jpeg
    543.1 KB · Views: 112
From the top it´s hard to tell or even see wether they´re missing something. A pic from the side would be preferable.

Got one! It’s hard for me to get photos as I have a tremor and most photos are blurred. I think this one shows the lack of tail better.

Attachments

• D07E5A05-AE58-4E66-8720-296DD6255D0A.jpeg
    D07E5A05-AE58-4E66-8720-296DD6255D0A.jpeg
    775.4 KB · Views: 83
Could another fish have bit the tail off of the fry because that happened in my pond with my platies but there tailes are growing back and are healthy. I shouldent have put them in the pond when they were realley small.

Could another fish have bit the tail off of the fry because that happened in my pond with my platies but there tailes are growing back and are healthy. I shouldent have put them in the pond when they were realley small.
I'm fairly certain it's not the other fish nipping their tails, I would have noticed some aggression and I haven't seen any. Thanks for the reply.

Are yoy sure they're lacking a tail? It looks like if the tail is clamped.

It looks clamped to me too

I don't know what clamped is, but they definitely have no tails. If you look at the one behind the one at the front of the picture you can see it has no tail.

Look up guppy with clamped tail.

Clamping is when they clamp it (squish it) tightly together.

Thank you for the reply. I've googled it and it's not what my fish have, some of the same batch have tails, some don't.

Most reactions

Back