Synodontis Polli....does Anyone Have One Or Any Info

Cheffi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I've read these come from Lake Malawi and don't grow too big. Does anyone have any or any photo's or where to obtain from and how many should you have in a 66gal tank? Thank you.

I presume you've already checked out Planet Catfish Cheffi, that's about as useful as i can be on this one, i'm afraid. :lol:

I bought a catfish labelled as Synodontis Polli last year, However I suspect it is more likely to be the "true" petricola...

It is about 4" in length, and I have never had it properly IDd, although if you are planning on getting some, treat the same as any other Cuckoo Syno, i.e. have 4 or 5. Your 66Gal tank is plenty big enough for them, just make sure your filteration can handle more catfish...

Ben

I bought a catfish labelled as Synodontis Polli last year, However I suspect it is more likely to be the "true" petricola...

It is about 4" in length, and I have never had it properly IDd, although if you are planning on getting some, treat the same as any other Cuckoo Syno, i.e. have 4 or 5. Your 66Gal tank is plenty big enough for them, just make sure your filteration can handle more catfish...

Ben

They will be living with 13 Malawi in this tank. What is the minimum I could get away with as don't really want 6 of them. Also as you seem quite knowledgable on catfish Pim Pictus were also suggested. I like them but it says a much lower ph is ideal for them. So do they fit in with Malawi or not do you think bearing in mind my ph is about 8? If they would what is the minimum I could have of them?

As you have found out the Pim. Pictus ideally need a much lower pH, however I have seen them kept quite happily in the tanks at maidenhead aquatics in swindon, who told me that some of their tanks have a pH of 9. Go in and ask them yourself and they will show you their record books. (I noticed you live in Wiltshire so this might be relevant).

Pim pictus get bigger than the synos, about 6", and are very active if kept in a group of 3 or 4.

If you want to stick to the synodontis, which I think you probably should then I would go for the Syno polli if you can find them, or alternatively Syno petricola. The shop I work at in Gloucestershire has them at the moment.... and no, im not trying to advertise them to you lol :p

Ben

As you have found out the Pim. Pictus ideally need a much lower pH, however I have seen them kept quite happily in the tanks at maidenhead aquatics in swindon, who told me that some of their tanks have a pH of 9. Go in and ask them yourself and they will show you their record books. (I noticed you live in Wiltshire so this might be relevant).

Pim pictus get bigger than the synos, about 6", and are very active if kept in a group of 3 or 4.

If you want to stick to the synodontis, which I think you probably should then I would go for the Syno polli if you can find them, or alternatively Syno petricola. The shop I work at in Gloucestershire has them at the moment.... and no, im not trying to advertise them to you lol :p

Ben

Thanks Ben. Think I'll take your advice then and go with the syno's. I'll try for Polli if not Petricola. Think my tanks coming to the end of the cycle so will pay Maidenhead another visit. They are not my lfs but they seem to have a nice selection there and the tanks always look clean. I use the Wyevale Garden Centre one. So then what's the minimum number I could have?

Ben

Thanks Ben. Think I'll take your advice then and go with the syno's. I'll try for Polli if not Petricola. Think my tanks coming to the end of the cycle so will pay Maidenhead another visit. They are not my lfs but they seem to have a nice selection there and the tanks always look clean. I use the Wyevale Garden Centre one. So then what's the minimum number I could have? Also if you can do me a good price and maybe let me know what Malawi you have there I might drive up? ;)

Ben

Thanks Ben. Think I'll take your advice then and go with the syno's. I'll try for Polli if not Petricola. Think my tanks coming to the end of the cycle so will pay Maidenhead another visit. They are not my lfs but they seem to have a nice selection there and the tanks always look clean. I use the Wyevale Garden Centre one. So then what's the minimum number I could have? Also if you can do me a good price and maybe let me know what Malawi you have there I might drive up? ;)

To be honest Maidenhead Aquatics @ Swindon North has a better selection of Malawi than us, but if you after Petricolas then let me know and I will do what I can...

Ben

Most reactions

Back