Synodontis Nigromaculata

cosworthlady

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I think I have a Synodontis nigromaculata and he's the sole reason i have 4 fish tanks now. I took him in from a friend who was getting rid of his fish shed way back in 1997. He had had him for a couple of years too and had been given him from another friend who had him for a while too,. I reckon he's about 15 years old. Does anyone know their lifespan? He's very lively and has had his ups and downs but now lives and rules in a 96L tank with tetras and a few live bearers. He lives under his bog wood although he is always lifting it and shifting it to other places in the tank. He's about 5/6" long and has never grown in all the time i have had him. At one time he was my only fish as he had outlived everything. I kept him alone for a while thinking he would soon pass away but that was in 2004 and he's still here!!. I got him a green terror, firemouth and jewel cichlid for company but after the green terror had killed off both the other cichlids I feared for him and had to buy another fish tank and so the story goes and now I've 4 tanks!!.

Anyone else got one? I think he's great. Always up to something and rarely "sits" still. Only swims up side down when he's lifting his bogwood up. He also doesn't like small bits of slate in the tank and lifts them with his nose and flicks them to the side.!!

Attachments

• Image003.jpg
    Image003.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 66
  • ABCD0008__Custom_.JPG
    ABCD0008__Custom_.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 56
dont ave one but he look realy cool:)
i only got four syno multi

but im pretty sure most on the forum know this by now
sorry

sorry

I honestly don't think there are many about at all. I've just got my better camera phone back and will try and get a better picture of him. Try being the operative word. He just won't keep still long enough LOL. He's my only syno. I did have a nigraventis years ago and something called a banjo cat in the late 70's early 80's. He made a right noise if he was ever whipped out the tank for any reason. Called him piggy LOL.

sorry

I honestly don't think there are many about at all. I've just got my better camera phone back and will try and get a better picture of him. Try being the operative word. He just won't keep still long enough LOL. He's my only syno. I did have a nigraventis years ago and something called a banjo cat in the late 70's early 80's. He made a right noise if he was ever whipped out the tank for any reason. Called him piggy LOL.

Do I have the last standing, well swimming one?

I had 2 of them many years ago, got them as thumb-length juvies sold as "lace cats". Great fish overall, very hardy, I ended up swapping them off after a few years. Haven't seen any before or since, apparently they're just not commonly collected/exported.

I had 2 of them many years ago, got them as thumb-length juvies sold as "lace cats". Great fish overall, very hardy, I ended up swapping them off after a few years. Haven't seen any before or since, apparently they're just not commonly collected/exported.

Its a shame cos they're quite entertaining. Even their colouring is attractive. I wonder if I'll ever find another one LOL.

Most reactions

Back