Synodontis Multipunctatus

Fat Boy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've just set up a new Mbuna tank and I've read these little beauties will be right at home with my Malawis.

My LFS has some in stock but they want £20 a piece, ( WOW ) they're only a round 1" in size as well.

Also I read that they LUV bloodworm, ah, now I also read my Malawis hate Bloodworm as it causes bloat, can I get around this ?

F.A.O Bunjiweb, I know you work at The Aquatic Habitat in Glous ( I get there once every couple of months or so ) do you have any in stock at the moment ? Can you beat my LFS price, and can I be cheeky and ask if you can do a deal for a group of 3 or 4 ?

Thanks in advance, Fatboy.

I don't think there is really a way around feeding the bloodworm, maybe you could try getting it directly down to the Syno's by use of a turkey baster or something, maybe train them to gather around it and feed them bloodwom that way, but other than that I can't think of anything else. I don't think its needed nor worth the risk personally.

I bought 2 of these today. They were around 1" in length. They cost £5.95 each.

They've found nice new homes to hide in and they look quite happy.

I've PMed you Fat Boy :)

Mr Whipster, are you sure they are true syno. multis for £5.95? I very much doubt it, they are more likely to be a cheap hybrids from the Czech Republic. TRUE Syno. Multis are always alot more than that.

Ben

The shop is supposed to be a reputable shop. Never heard anything bad about them. They were labelled up as being Syno. Multis, and my father-in-law who was with me seemed certain that they were. He's got 3 in his tank. I'll try and get a photo. They are always hiding at the moment.

Here is a picture of one. Bear in mind it is very young and only about an inch or so in length.

synomulti.jpg

One of the new ones (smaller of the two) died last night. I found him floating. No obvious things like injuries were visible. Water quality is ok All the other fish are fine, including the other 'syno multi' I bought. I saw no bullying from the other fish.

I took him out and put him in the freezer. On Monday I 'll phone the fish shop and ask if they guarantee their fish for any length of time. Then I can take him back to show that he wasn't beaten up or anything, he literally just died.

Now, the shop has them labelled as Synodontis Multipunctatus. Either they are lying or they don't know what they are talking about. Are there any rules about wrongly advertised fish in the UK.

I very much doubt it.

LOADS of shops sell hybrids as syno. multis. Its the norm unfortunately.

It may of died of something completely unforseeable, such as kidney failure or a heart attack. This is quite common in cheap czech synos.

Ben

Whipster,

I am sure there are laws regarding the sale of things under the wrong name, but I am yet to hear of a store being taken to court. I recently bought undescribed synodontis sp. (possibly hybrids like yours, but still looking different to yours...) as Synodontis schoutendini and they turned out not to be so. I've also bought a pair of fish before, only to have them turn out to be 2 different species.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your fish. I would say always be wary of buying Synodontis sp. at the moment, there are more czech bred hybrids than you can shake a stick at.

My father-in-law bought 2 of these from the same shop about 4 weeks ago. They have more than doubled in size in that time. They look like they are going to be massive fish.

Oh dear! I wasn't aware of such hybrids. Both my multis are very much the true type (beautiful colouring, with clearly defined white dorsal stripe etc). Sadly since moving into the 100gallon some months ago they never come out but at night. :rolleyes:
Multis are very expensive compared to alot of the synos around. As are Petricolas. I am lucky enough to have three of them too. :wub:
As for the hybrids I wonder just how big they're likely to get! It's a bit worrying really. I suggest going to stores where they have a good knowledge of synos (I can recommend a few) and if they have one or some in they aren't sure about they say so! I picked up a rather pretty little guy which the store was unsure about. He's actually a Brichardi. :wub: Someone had reserved him but they sold him to me as I had a good understanding of his needs.
As for the bloodworm feeding. You can feed bloodworm in the Malawi tank. I do. The way to go about is as follows.....Feed the Malawi their food first, just before lights out, literally! Then after they've eaten put in the bloodworm. They will eat some, inevitably, but won't be quite so quick upon it having eaten already and most will reach the synos. Just don't feed it more then twice a week or you will risk the Malawis getting bloat. One of mine got it after I made the mistake (When I first got into Malawis) of feeding bloodworm almost every night. I got lucky and treated him for it successfully. The fish is still alive and well although it took around two months for a full recovery. Thankfully none of the others got the disease and I am far more careful now.
Hugs,
P.

My father-in-law bought 2 of these from the same shop about 4 weeks ago. They have more than doubled in size in that time. They look like they are going to be massive fish.

I VERY MUCH doubt they could realistically double in size in 4 weeks. Synos are slow growers, especially the lake dwelling synos. If they really are growing that quick then I'd say that you may be over feeding the tank, as that sounds highly un-realistic.

Ben

I VERY MUCH doubt they could realistically double in size in 4 weeks. Synos are slow growers, especially the lake dwelling synos. If they really are growing that quick then I'd say that you may be over feeding the tank, as that sounds highly un-realistic.

Ben

Agreed, the only possible exception is with hybrid vigour. This is where the breeding of 2 seperate species creates a super powerful quick-growing fish, or fish with other exceptional attributes. www.wikipedia.com then search for "Hybrid vigor" for more details on this. Another example of this occurring in the trade is the redtail catfish X tiger shovelnose hybrid. It's believed that these fish, both food fish in their native land were bred together to increase the speed at which they grow, which is obviously more appealing when you want to eat them! Sadly they made their way into the aquarium trade however.

Oh dear! I wasn't aware of such hybrids. Both my multis are very much the true type (beautiful colouring, with clearly defined white dorsal stripe etc). Sadly since moving into the 100gallon some months ago they never come out but at night.
Miss Dib Dabs, in a big tank like that I'm not surprised they've become shy, they are schooling fish after all. The more you keep the more active they'll get.

Most reactions

Back