Synodontis Multipunctatus

Fella

Research!
Reaction score
Can't find too much on these guys on the net and was hoping someone here could help me out.

I've got a tank of multifasciatus at the moment, roughly 15US gallons, and I'm looking to find some tankmates for them. I had a Bulldog plec disaster (died within 24hours because of harassment) and I'm wondering if getting more shells to dissipate the aggression (the main aggressor has since passed on) would make these guys suitable?

I won't be enquiring about them if they're going to eat the fry or eggs though, I want the tank to be a breeding setup.

Whats the maximum size that these guys grow to? Are they suitable for a 15 gallon? Am i right in thinking I'd need more than 1 because they're schooling?

Thanks in advance

Craig

They do *ok* singly but as you have correctly realised they are better off in groups (5+).

As for your tank, unfortunately it is no where near big enough for them. They can easily grow to 4" and should be in a minimum of a 30" tank (30gallons), ideally bigger.

I suggest you either start looking for a bigger tank or choose a different catfish.

Syno. Petricola might do *ok* in a 15Gallon and they are the smallest commonly available synodontis. As for eating the fry, you can't guarentee anything, and if it is for breeding you should only be thinking of having the shelldwellers anyway.

Ben

They do *ok* singly but as you have correctly realised they are better off in groups (5+).

As for your tank, unfortunately it is no where near big enough for them. They can easily grow to 4" and should be in a minimum of a 30" tank (30gallons), ideally bigger.

I suggest you either start looking for a bigger tank or choose a different catfish.

Syno. Petricola might do *ok* in a 15Gallon and they are the smallest commonly available synodontis. As for eating the fry, you can't guarentee anything, and if it is for breeding you should only be thinking of having the shelldwellers anyway.

Ben

Yeah, the main reason I ask are the totally inconsistent bits of information on the net. Multipunctatus some sites say grow to 3.5" max some say 6". It's a bit weird to say the least.

*goes back to the drawing board*

As i said, i think you would better if you want them to breed to keep them on their own.

Ben

As i said, i think you would better if you want them to breed to keep them on their own.

Ben

Yeah. I'll have to trick the missus into allowing another tank in the house ;)

Multipunctatus can grow as large as 8 inches. I've seen it myself and the reason their size is commonly wrong is because it takes a long time, and they're usually kept in unsuitably small tanks. They are very fast, very active (at night usually) and should have no less then a 4 ft long tank (standard size 55 gallon). They are more active in shoals, and because of their aggression should be kept with at least 4-6 individuals. They are very adept egg and fry hunters.

Multipunctatus can grow as large as 8 inches. I've seen it myself and the reason their size is commonly wrong is because it takes a long time, and they're usually kept in unsuitably small tanks. They are very fast, very active (at night usually) and should have no less then a 4 ft long tank (standard size 55 gallon). They are more active in shoals, and because of their aggression should be kept with at least 4-6 individuals. They are very adept egg and fry hunters.

Hahaha, I'm glad I never got any of these!

Show me a pic of an 8" multi. In the wild yes maybe but i would NEVER expect to see one this big in a tank, unless it is thousands of litres...

Ben

Show me a pic of an 8" multi. In the wild yes maybe but i would NEVER expect to see one this big in a tank, unless it is thousands of litres...
How would a pic help - I can give you a big pic of a small fish. Anyway, just because you would NEVER expect to see something doesn't mean it can't exist. I'm assuming you've kept some of these fish for 20+ years in a decent sized tank and never achieved this growth in order to deny this possibility based on personal experience.

Most reactions

Back