Synodontis Catfish

Barracuda518

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My LFS has some Synodontis Catfish that are black with white spots. Anyone one know what type this is. I was thinking about getting some, but want to know how big they get, what they eat, aggression and all that stuff. Maybe someone has some pictures. I gotta hurry tho, he got like 20 in the other day and only has like 5 or 6 left...

Thanks in advance B)

EDIT: I think this is it..but I still would like more info, if its a rare fish, because they were the normal price you would pay..

http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/1996_11.php

You wanna snap them up fast if they're normal price. They're normally costly. I know, I have one. :D
They are beautiful fish, get pretty large and are generally about more in the daytime then many syno species. They are peaceful with other fish but take a few days to sort out hierarchy within a group of themselves. Once they're sorted tis cool tho. Just make sure there's more hiding places than fish. :thumbs:
Here's a pic of mine.
synoangelicus.jpg

Hugs,
P.

They didnt quite look like that. They were smaller, and a darker black. Maybe its just the picture? How big they get? Thats really important to me, I dont want them to get too big too fast until I can get the bigger tank Im working on set up and that could be a while since im doing it right...

I have two of these fish and they are approx 8 inches. My mum has one that is approx 10 inches,although it is said that 8 inches is an average size for these fish.HTH.

chali said:
I have two of these fish and they are approx 8 inches. My mum has one that is approx 10 inches,although it is said that 8 inches is an average size for these fish.HTH.
[snapback]883544[/snapback]​

That definately helps..Thanks :thumbs:

I think im gonna stay away from these for now. The guy who works at the LFS will order me whatever I want for the normal price. Ive bought all my fish and accessories from him, so he helps me out B)

chali said:
Out of interest......what is the "normal" price of these where you are?
[snapback]885643[/snapback]​

The price of normal Synodontis is 6-8 US dollars. The ones we are talking about now, I dont know because I never see them. I just dont know if the ones Ive seen are the same as the ones yall are talking about because the LFS had so many of them...

Adult synodontis angelicus have much less contrasting markings generaly speaking (though in males the markings are still more intense) and the spots appear smaller. That's probably why you feel the fish you saw are different to pictures you are being shown. Anyway, s. angelicus has always been imported from Zaire to the best of my knowledge. I'm not sure whether this is still the case but there was a ban placed on imports for a while and the price of this species shot up. Undertsandably so as it's a realy beautiful creature and was in high demand. I do believe the ban was raised recently so prices should be dropping but I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the right fish so there still may be a ban in place. Anyway, that's why prices were/are high. ;) I couldn't say what the current price is as I haven't seen any recently. I've always wanted some but, due to their size, I don't have a tank that I'd feel was worthy of them and that I'd feel could be stocked accordingly. If you ever do have a tank though, they are deffinately a lovely looking fish.

sylvia said:
Adult synodontis angelicus have much less contrasting markings generaly speaking (though in males the markings are still more intense) and the spots appear smaller. That's probably why you feel the fish you saw are different to pictures you are being shown. Anyway, s. angelicus has always been imported from Zaire to the best of my knowledge. I'm not sure whether this is still the case but there was a ban placed on imports for a while and the price of this species shot up. Undertsandably so as it's a realy beautiful creature and was in high demand. I do believe the ban was raised recently so prices should be dropping but I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the right fish so there still may be a ban in place. Anyway, that's why prices were/are high. ;) I couldn't say what the current price is as I haven't seen any recently. I've always wanted some but, due to their size, I don't have a tank that I'd feel was worthy of them and that I'd feel could be stocked accordingly. If you ever do have a tank though, they are deffinately a lovely looking fish.
[snapback]885913[/snapback]​

Thats my problem, dont have a big enough tank

Most reactions

Back