Swordtail paralysis?

clambert122

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have noticed a really odd thing in one of my female swordtails.

She used to be quite active, but the last few days I have noticed her just sitting on the bottom of the tank. I can see no signs of any obvious wounds, or even sickness in behavior. But what I have noticed is that her tail ( which looks fine ) is no longer used. and she swims around only using her front fins. other than suddenly having no use of her tail, she acts normal. Eating just fine.

Her tail section is kind of curved into an small S shape almost. Tried to get a good pic.

Any idea? This seems quite weird to me.

Attachments

• swordtailS.JPG
    swordtailS.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 55
I should add also that i have run water tests, and as far as that goes. my water tests out perfect. I have an automated water change system that changes out 90% of the water in the tank over a month period. Filter cleaning happens roughly monthly. Been a little bit more lately cause i have had some surprise personal issues. Cause. SURPRISE!

How long has the tank been set up? How was it cycled? How long have you had the fish?
What kind of test kit do you use?

Can you elaborate on this "automated water change system"?

How long has the tank been set up? How was it cycled? How long have you had the fish?
What kind of test kit do you use?

Can you elaborate on this "automated water change system"?

Tank has been up since November. Its well cycled long since.

I have had this particular fish for probably 4 months.

I use the full range of API test kits.

As for my water change system. I just have a pump that pumps a set amount of water out of the tank into a sink every day ( 7 gallons a day is what I have it set to atm )

I have a 15 gallon reservoir off to the side that has a Neptune auto top off system, so when it sees the water get low in my sump, it fills it back up.

here is a pic of the tank you can see the reservoir off to the side there.

Attachments

• tankwithreservoir.jpg
    tankwithreservoir.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 45
What method do you use to dechlor the new water? Which conditioner do you use?

What method do you use to dechlor the new water? Which conditioner do you use?

When I fill the res tank up, I turn the pumps off, and i use Seachem Prime. I let it sit a while ( and I have a high flow power head in there as well to move the water around ) to condition the water, then turn the pumps back on.

Sounds like your water chemistry should be fine, then...liquid API test kit, correct?

The sword just may be near the end of her life cycle, they can be overbred in some instances, and not in the best health when bought

If all of the other fish are doing fine, you may consider euthanizing, or just wait and see, and let Nature do her part

clear picture of the fish and a video of it moving and resting?

Sounds like your water chemistry should be fine, then...liquid API test kit, correct?

The sword just may be near the end of her life cycle, they can be overbred in some instances, and not in the best health when bought

If all of the other fish are doing fine, you may consider euthanizing, or just wait and see, and let Nature do her part

clear picture of the fish and a video of it moving and resting?

heres a video of the fish.

Most reactions

Back