Swordtail males

October FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Tyler777

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've read that you can't keep 2 swordtail males together in a tank. The tank I'm cycling is 125 gallons. Any chance I can keep 2 swordtail males in my 125 gallons tank without them fightingb?

Where have you read that...

Of course you can put 2 male swordtail in any size tank. They don't really fight, they display and might chase a bit, But nearly only if there is a lady to impress with them.

You can, but Just not while you are fishless cycling it tho...

Where have you read that...

Of course you can put 2 male swordtail in any size tank. They don't really fight, they display and might chase a bit, But nearly only if there is a lady to impress with them.

You can, but Just not while you are fishless cycling it tho...
Thank you brother. I read it online in some forum. I'm glad you said I can bcause I like males swordtails n I was wanting to add 2 or 3 more girls and another male

Thank you brother. I read it online in some forum. I'm glad you said I can bcause I like males swordtails n I was wanting to add 2 or 3 more girls and another male

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241011_173509_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20241011_173509_Samsung Internet.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 7
If you want to breed them, it's better to have a higher ratio of females than males.

If you want to breed them, it's better to have a higher ratio of females than males.
I know. I'm not planning to breed em but u know live bearers do the nasty n get pregnant even if ur not planning on it.
I just want to have another male swimming around the tank

You should avoid keeping platies and swordtails together because they hybridise. Keep one species per tank not both.

If you want a group of swordtails but no babies, get 4 or 5 males and no females.

You should avoid keeping platies and swordtails together because they hybridise. Keep one species per tank not both.

If you want a group of swordtails but no babies, get 4 or 5 males and no females.
I can get many males ? Wouldn't they fight with each other ?

If there is only males in the tank, the more you have, the less they will fight.

I say "fight" but it's not even close. It's more like little "Mexican Standoff" displays off beauty and strength.

They are generally peaceful fish and don't tend to fight with each other, especially when there are no females around to compete for.

If there is only males in the tank, the more you have, the less they will fight.

I say "fight" but it's not even close. It's more like little "Mexican Standoff" displays off beauty and strength.

They are generally peaceful fish and don't tend to fight with each other, especially when there are no females around to compete for.
Thank you guys. I'm getting more boys

I would finish the cycle before adding fish, fishless cycling is more complex and quite nasty to any inhabitants.

And yep, you can have more males. They will have stand offs, but they won't get overly aggressive like cichlids can get. You might sometimes get the odd one, but let's face the fact that fish are just odd lol.

I would finish the cycle before adding fish, fishless cycling is more complex and quite nasty to any inhabitants.

And yep, you can have more males. They will have stand offs, but they won't get overly aggressive like cichlids can get. You might sometimes get the odd one, but let's face the fact that fish are just odd lol.
The adding fish of course won't happen until the tank is done cycling

Just read that screenshot. No, it's no problem to keep more than one male swordtail in a tank. Swordtails themselves need enough swmming space. They like to swim from right to left and vice versa. So, a broader tank is of more importance than a higher tank. In a smaller tank, they will just show who's the alpha in the tank. So, they'll try to impress another. That's not fighting. And when there are females around, those males do the same thing. For the alpha male will be the number one to mate unless you've got some sneaky males in there. For dominant males can try to show off other dominant males. While they're busy with showing off on another, sneaky mas can try to mate with one or more females when females allow them to mate with them.

Most reactions

Back