Swordies and Platies

Elisabeth83

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Well I might have figured about why my mollies have been so unhealthy. They need SALT :S I had zero salt in their tank.

So since swordies and platies are in the molly family I am starting to wonder if I could keep them with the mollies with salt?

I read on some sites that say swordies and platies dont need salt but mollies do. If I kept the swordies and platies in with the mollies with salt would they be ok? Do they prefer it?

Do any of you put salt in your swordy and platy tanks??? :huh:

I have always been advised by my local fish store never to put salt in with Platies but yes Mollies wouldn't mind. My Platies have always been very healthy and colorful without the addition of any salt.

Yes some salt is ok for mollies, but I have also kept them for a very long healthy time without any salt in the water. I also know that platies will tolerate some salt in the water. I prefer to add as few things as I can get away with to my water, just a preferance of mine. Salt does have it's uses, it can be used with raised temperatures to treat many illnesses.

In my own experience, a lot of livebearing fish seem to benefit from the addition of salt to the water. But, only to the point of making the water a little brackish. Mollies are more likely to breed and I've noticed that both Swordtails and Platies seem more vivacious when it's present in the water. I've even kept Guppies in the same tanks and they've not been affected.

Hi. I asked my LFS the same question when I was setting-up my livebearer tank. Steve seemed to know his stuff, and he said that the corys wouldn't like the addition of salt. I put together a tanl of 6 plattys and 4 corys, and have decided to skip the salt. Regards, Sneaker

I've kept Bronze Corys in my Guppy raising tanks, (as fish to clean-up after the youngsters), which has had some salt added to the water, and it seems fine. If you introduce the salt gradually, (say, over a few weeks), it won't be as much of a shock to the fish's system, and it may work.

You may want to verify the amount with someone who is currently adding salt to their tank (I haven't for years). But I'm thinking it was only like 1 or 2 parts per thousand that was being added which would be about a teaspoon per gallon. I think most freshwater fish can tolerate levels of 5 parts per thousand but am unsure of where the danger point for the non-brackish fish is.

Most reactions

Back