Switching Small Gravel To Sand - Suggestions On How

San O Fisher

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have 92 gallon discus tank that I have just finished stocking and after staring at the past 2 weeks I decided I wanted sand... Maybe

The gravel I have is smaller and my cories look okay, but I know them and my snowball Pleco would prefer sand.

My first thought was to pull 50% of the gravel on one side day one with replacement and 50% day 2. I don't want to risk loosing any discus or the snowball Pleco. What is the safest way to do this? Or should I just forget it?

Thanks

I tried doing that once, but I ended up losing three cories. I netted all my fish and put them in buckets, and then emptied all the water, saving as much as I could in order to keep the water the same. I had an under gravel filter, which I was replacing because under gravel filters don't work with sand. Unfortunately I injured some of the cories when netting them, and then I forgot that I completely destroyed the bacteria and was basically cycling it again. I suggest you stay with the small gravel, unless it is hurting the fish.

I've done it with my fish in the tank but they were incredibly stressed, I wouldn't do it again. I agree that it's best to net them and move them into bucket or even storage boxes - with discus a storage box will be better than a cramped bucket.
Once you've got your fish moved out switch off your filter and heater - if you leave the filter running you risk getting sand in the impeller housing and that will destroy the filter entirely.
It'll probably be easier to remove 50% of the tank water than trying to work with a full tank. Have your sand washed and ready - you must wash the sand, even if it is aquarium sand. It removes the dust. If you are using playsand you'll be shocked at how filthy and dusty it is. I can give you tips on washing sand later on if you want.

Okay so now you have your sand washed and ready so it's time to remove the gravel. I've found the best way to do this is to use your net and a colunder, have the colunder (and I've just realised your in the U.S and might not know what one is - it's what you use to drain vegetable a round bowl with holes in) over a bucket and scoop the gravel into it. Once it's full tip the colunder into another bucket. Keep going until you've got as much of the gravel out as you can. Then get a hose or length of pipe and suck up the debris from the base of the tank into another bucket and throw this away - it will be brown and gunky.
You can return the sand in the same manor as you removed the gravel - go slow, sand weighs more when wet than you'd think and it's easy to crack your tank bottom if you just dump it in.

Once you've got your sand in you can re-add plants and decor and add back as much of the old water as you can. By removing your gravel you will lose lots of bacteria and so by returning most of the old water you add some back - it's only tiny amounts though so for at least a week keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite levels.

Once the tank is filled back up you can set the heater and filter running again. It'll be cloudy for a day or two maybe (depends on how well you washed the sand and how much debris was under the gravel) If you are able to add some fine filter floss to your filter I would consider it as it will help to clear things up.

The fish can go back in even if it's cloudy. They will be stressed so keep the lights off until they chill out again. Feed lightly for the next few days and keep an eye on the water stats.

You'll need to set aside a full day for this. It's a big job and not one to be rushed. Give me a shout if you want tips on washing the sand
smile.png

I did this recently.

I got a large plastic tub.  Put as much tank water in that as I could with a spare heater.  Moved the bog wood and plants in and netted my fish and moved them in too.

I then took out the rest of my tank water into a large container.  Removed as much of the substrate as I could and replaced it with the sand.  Then I slowly filled with the tank water in the container and moved the rest of the decor back in before putting the fish back.

My filter was very mature and I made sure I didn't do a water change or clean the glass or anything else.  I've not had any fish losses (this was now six weeks ago) and the only issue I do now have is slightly higher phosphate and some black beard algae I'm combating.  As long as you have a well matured filter you should be ok.  You can put some of your old substrate in an old sock or tights or filter bag in the tank to allow any bacteria to still be in there if you feel you need to.

I did this around 12 months ago. I had another tank in which to temporarily house my fish until the deed was done so to speak.

I personally wouldn't attempt without another temp tank as I can imagine it being very disruptive trying to change substrate while still holding fish, especially discus which,from my knowledge are quite sensitive fish to begin with.

It is a big job, I did it as I wanted to keep Cory's and I had quite large,rough gravel before hand.

I firstly filled the temp tank with my original tank water then hooked up my filter then transferred my fish. I emptied my tank of everything, plants, wood ornaments etc, and began shoveling out the gravel.

Once the sand was in I left it running for around a week with a spare filter (filled with media from my big filter) then after a few tests added my fish back in.

Luckily everything went well, I didn't lose any fish and a few weeks later I added my Cory's who are all still going strong 12 months later!

Good luck with whatever you decide, I don't envy you!!

I'll add this to what Akasha said:

If you have plans to add plants to your tank at some time in the future, DON'T remove all the gunk from the bottom of the tank.  That brown messy gunky stuff is actually chock full of goodness for plants.   Discus really appreciate plants, so if you are keeping them, I'd suggest that you seriously consider plants. 

Cories and plecos can uproot plants a bit, so you may find that you need to replant them a bit.  Plants with extensive root systems are best with them.  Amazon swords, crypts, etc.   Stem plants can work, but they will be uprooted for a while at first.  Just keep replanting them.  

I never thought of that Eagles - good plan. I was thinking that removing the dirty gunk it would help with the inevitable cloudy water the OP will see but I hadn't considered that it's good plant food - come to think of it it's good bacteria too so it's probably best left and not sucked out 
Dunno.gif

Some of it should be removed, some of it should be left to remain.  

Regarding the cloudy water, if there water is completely removed (or nearly so), and then the sand placed on top, it will sit on the bottom of the sand and the plants roots will find it, but the cloudiness will be almost completely mitigated.  The filter will quickly deal with anything that does get disturbed (which should be extremely minor).

I found it impossible to get the gunk out anyway so I just left it.  :)

I think I am going to wait 3-4 months and continue to let my filter build up. I will probably buy a used 55 gallon and switch the water and fish in there before I swap out the substrate. Thanks for the advice, definitely helped point me in the right direction.

good luck with it and remember to take before and after photo's for us lol

Akasha72 said:

Okay so now you have your sand washed and ready so it's time to remove the gravel. I've found the best way to do this is to use your net and a colunder, have the colunder (and I've just realised your in the U.S and might not know what one is - it's what you use to drain vegetable a round bowl with holes in)
Sorry, this is totally off topic, but I would like to point out that we in the US know what colanders are. I'm a bit curious as to why you were under the impression that we don't. 
smile.png

San O Fisher said:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VfkkunBi3V0

I might do it this way in a week or so. My thought is to do it over 2 sessions as I have read some positive things about that.

I think that's only going to be effective if you need to add more sand or if you had no substrate in the tank.  As you need to remove gravel first I would honestly recommend moving the fish into temporary accommodation.  Bear in mind as soon as you stir up the gravel you aren't going to be able to see a thing in the water.

Blough said:

Okay so now you have your sand washed and ready so it's time to remove the gravel. I've found the best way to do this is to use your net and a colunder, have the colunder (and I've just realised your in the U.S and might not know what one is - it's what you use to drain vegetable a round bowl with holes in)
Sorry, this is totally off topic, but I would like to point out that we in the US know what colanders are. I'm a bit curious as to why you were under the impression that we don't. 
smile.png

How am I supposed to know what they are called in the U.S?! I'm British! Only a few days ago I was talking to an American friend by email and said I was going to see a physio and he didn't know what I meant! I now think before I type because what we call things here in the U.K can be totally different in the U.S.

And another thing. This forum won't even allow me to type the name of a female dog because in the U.S it's classed as a swear word. I'm doing my best to consider the language barrier but if I'm going to get picked on for it I won't bother in future. Maybe I should just reply to topics from U.K members then I don't offend anyone in my attempts to just be a nice person and consider that they might not follow what I'm trying to say.
I'm actually really upset by that comment. There was no need for it

Most reactions

Back