Switching Sides!

danon

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
ok here goes,

I currently own an AquaOne980 tank, set-up for Cichlids and am thinking of switching to the 'salty side'.
Dimensions 98X60X47cm. ACTUAL aquarium volume about 180litres.

I originally posted in Nano section but, this tank is larger than that.

I want to have live rock, sand, some corals, fish and invertibrates.

I realise this is an expensive hobby that requires a hell of a lot of planning but, getting very confused with all the information available!!!

Is it possible to adapt this tank? ie
Lights would need replacing- is this as simple as new bulbs?
Skimmer?, where would this go?
2 heaters?
How much live rock and roughly how much would this cost?
Do i need a filter when using live rock and live sand?
Power heads to disturb the water surface? How many?

Sorry about all the questions, just so much to think about.

OR am i best going down the Nano reef route and buying, possibly the orca550 which comes with skimmer etc.

Thanks in advance and please go easy on me. We all have to start somewhere. Got great advice on here about the Cichlid set-up.
Cheers Dan.

ok here goes,

I currently own an AquaOne980 tank, set-up for Cichlids and am thinking of switching to the 'salty side'.
Dimensions 98X60X47cm. ACTUAL aquarium volume about 180litres.

:hi: aboard, so you have 46 uk gallons there

I originally posted in Nano section but, this tank is larger than that.

I want to have live rock, sand, some corals, fish and invertibrates.

:good: a reef

I realise this is an expensive hobby that requires a hell of a lot of planning but, getting very confused with all the information available!!!

The planning and asking questions is half the fun

Would have thought so

What lighting does it have?

Hang on the outside - look at the smaller deltec mce

2 heaters?

Yes, 2 x 100 watts would be ample

Get it from a reefer breaking down a tank and it should be approx £5.00 a kilo

No, the live rock is your filter

Yes, at least two - look for a turn over of at least x 20 = 3600 more is better

Sorry about all the questions, just so much to think about.

There is indeed, hope you have got yourself a notepad :good: and remember, the only stupid question is the one not asked

OR am i best going down the Nano reef route and buying, possibly the orca550 which comes with skimmer etc.

Not at all - the orca 550 is a great tank but yours is bigger

Thanks in advance and please go easy on me. We all have to start somewhere. Got great advice on here about the Cichlid set-up.
Cheers Dan.

Seffie x

:fish:

ps can we have a photo of your tank please as it is now - we are noisy you see :blush:

Welcome to the salty side.
Ask loads of questions, because we all love anwsering them, mainly seffie and trod.
:p

YF

Thanks seffie, have been reading a lot of your posts (until the early hours)

Lighting at moment: 2 X 36" 30W and 1 X 30" 25W

How much in weight would i need of live rock?
Trying to get a rough estimate of how much this hobby is going to cost.

I understand ( think i do ) that a sump is a seperate tank, housed under the main tank where water is circulated into it and back out to the main tank.
Is this correct and therefore would i need one? Dont fancy this idea if i can get away with it.

You say iwouldnt need a filter so, i could get rid of the trickle filter that is installed in the hood?

When looking at and reading about other peoples tank set-up im sure they have one if not 2 filters, or am i getting confused with all the reading!!

Powerheads; sorry dont understand, TURN OVER OF AT LEAST X20.

Sorry if questions are of a simple nature :rolleyes:

Thanks again, look forward to responses :good:

Here are some pics for you nosey ones :shifty: lol
Hope they have come out ok.
Could only upload 1 picture for some reason

Attachments

• 2192_ff.jpg
    2192_ff.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 63
Can i just state that im a newbie myself, so get everything i say double checked!

are your lights t8 or t5? how deep is the tank? lights are only needed for corals, if you have t5's you'll be fine. T8's im not 100% sure with, you may get away with some softies if you have some reflectors and the tank aint too deep.

weight in live rock i would imagine 20 - 30kilos. I've seen it as cheap as £3 a kilo though! if you goto your lfs it will be around £10 a kilo

A powerhead is just a fan underwater basically, imagine an internal filter without the sponge or anything else, just the pump. All they do is increase the flow around the live rock. Aim for 20x the turn over of your tank as minimum. Seeing as you have a 180L tank you will need a turn over of at least 3600 2x koralia 2 power heads would do this, although abviously the more flow the better. If you get "dead spots" (still water/very little flow) the bacteria/algae on your rock will start to die.

Yes you can get rid of the trickle filter if you wanted, Live rock is where all the good bacteria is kept. I doubt they have filters, you may be thinking of a skimmer, reactor, powerhead? Most people dont use filters like you would in a tropical set up as it can cause massive nitrate problems. You can however keep live rock ruble in a filter, although not sure on a trickle filter.

no you dont NEED a sump, just some people prefer to have one for a couple of reasons, 1 you can hide all your equipment in it (ie heater/skimmer) and 2 you increase the ammount of water in your system, a bigger water collum means theres more room for mistake or accidents.

Like i said im only a newbie to marines but think thats all right, im changing my tropical tank to marines too so in the same boat!

Just dont forget you need RO water and dont underestimate the price of salt!!

Thanks Ian and Seffie for the reply,

Just had a look at the lights, they came with the tank,
2 white 8000k 30W super light
1 Lilac 15000k 25W tri-power light
This is what is written on the actual tubes.
They are housed behind a plastic cover, that can be unscrewed to replace tubes. Dont think i would be able to get a reflector at the back of them, due to the housing unit.

Depth of tank is 47cm.

Hope these answers are adequate, having great fun reading up on various things. Just hope it all pays off in the end, will be months before anything happens.

As with the Cichlids it was months in the planning before taking the plunge to buy tank. and of course working all hours to be able to afford. :good:

Looking forward to hearing more, cheers, Dan.
ps here is another pic

Attachments

• 2223_ff.jpg
    2223_ff.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 69
Thanks seffie, have been reading a lot of your posts (until the early hours)

Lighting at moment: 2 X 36" 30W and 1 X 30" 25W

I have looked it up - It comes with 3 x T8 fitted (2 x 30W and 1 x 25W) so it really is depending on what you want to keep in the tank :good: if you want fowlr (fish only with live rock) then you will be ok, if you wanted to keep a few mushrooms also ok. But if you want to keep anything that requires more light, such as Euphyllias, then you will need to upgrade to t5, found this info on the net for you

'So I went ahead and removed all the stock T8 kit and replaced it with 4 x 39W T5 lighting. It was not to hard to do - I used 2 x 39W Osram ballasts and the 4 T5's fit perfectly into the hood with the standard cover back in place'.

If you want to go with heavy light dependent corals you will need much more lighting.

How much in weight would i need of live rock?

At the least 20 kilo, but I would go for 30 kilos - so maybe somewhere in between. Don't buy from a lfs - wait for a tank breakdown - the salty side is all about patience

Trying to get a rough estimate of how much this hobby is going to cost.

A lot, but you can make considerable savings by buying second hand

I understand ( think i do ) that a sump is a seperate tank, housed under the main tank where water is circulated into it and back out to the main tank.
Is this correct and therefore would i need one? Dont fancy this idea if i can get away with it.

Yes that is correct - I haven't got one

You say iwouldnt need a filter so, i could get rid of the trickle filter that is installed in the hood?

I would sell it and get some much needed funds

When looking at and reading about other peoples tank set-up im sure they have one if not 2 filters, or am i getting confused with all the reading!!

Yes you are getting confused with the powerheads

Powerheads; sorry dont understand, TURN OVER OF AT LEAST X20.

You need to be looking for pumps that will move your water through them at least 20 x an hour - Have a look at the Koralia and tunze streams on fleabay to give you an idea

Sorry if questions are of a simple nature :rolleyes:

The only simple/stupid question is the one not asked :good:

Thanks again, look forward to responses :good:

Here are some pics for you nosey ones :shifty: lol

You certainly have an eye for aquascaping :good:

Hope they have come out ok.
Could only upload 1 picture for some reason

Seffie x

:fish:

Thanks again Seffie,

You make everything a lot clearer to understand.

No, i dont want a fowlr tank, want some corals as well, not sure which ones yet.
Will try to find out more about the lights and ways to modify the hood :shifty: I would like to get these sorted out BEFORE i set-up, it would be easier to do now rather than later when/if i decide to get something that requires stronger light. Trying to cover all possible angles. Still so much research to do. LOVING IT.

Thanks for the info on powerheads, thats cleared that one up.

Aquascaping- Thanks, much appreciated.

Will be asking loads more questions, hope your ready :good:

Cheers, Dan.

Not saying that anything Seffie is saying is wrong, I just dont think he/she gave you all the options that you can choose from. So, you can listen to Seffie, or you can listen to me, just two different options, one isnt necessarily better than the other, it just gives you a wider perspective:

2 heaters?

Lighting is a huge question because there is no one set answer for something as simple as, what light should i get? You should look into specifics, what coral EXACTLY would you like in your tank. There are two main types of lighting for reefs, and two minor types. The two main ones are Metal Halide and T5 High Output linear Fluorescent. These two are the most common, but each are almost completely different except for the fact that they both create light. I personally am a bigger fan of MH (metal halide) since I like how it uses less linear space and it has a more natural effect visually IMO. Look into the differences and choose between the both, if you are going reef. The two less popular for reefers is T5 power compact lighting, similar to T5HO linear lights but not as powerful, though the design can use less room, it is hard to get a good reflector and therefore not as good as linear T5s. Another option is LED lighting, LED can be more effective and powerful than MH and T5HO, but it is very expensive to get a good LED fixture that can out compete MH and T5HO. LED is also used in moon lighting which offers little more than aesthetic values. So, do a little research on all of these before you commit to something immediately, remember, this is your tank and you can do it the way you want, and there are many many MANY different ways of having a reef tank.

Different skimmers can go almost anywhere, and there are good skimmers in each category. There is HOB, which is what Seffie suggested, but there is a lot more options than just HOB and Deltec MCE, while the Deltec HOB might be the best, there is also the AquaC HOB which uses a different technology, but AquaC is American and I am not sure if it sells in the UK. There are also in tank skimmers, Tunze being an example, in sump skimmers, which are the most common, and IMO the best for the money, in sump recirculating skimmers, and out of tank skimmers, which are normally the largest, most expensive, but the most powerful ones. And if that wasnt confusing enough, there are many different ways a skimmer works, there are Venturi, Venturi Needlewheel, Downdraft skimmer, Air Induction (or something by that name), air powered, and there are probably a few more that i cant think of at the moment. So there are many more options than a HOB Deltec MCE skimmer that, in America at least, seems like an incredible waste of money. The skimmer i went with was a Euro-Reef RS-80, cost me 100 dollars second hand and since it is an in sump skimmer it can be much bigger than a HOB skimmer and much cheaper, therefore IMO it is much more effective than a Deltec MCE, but it does require a sump, and the Deltec MCE may be the smallest bit more reliable, at a MUCH higher cost.

For heaters, it depends on your room temperature and how much excess heat is given off by tank equipments (pumps give off heat). I rarely use a heater, and if I do its a 150 watt in a 80 gallon total water volume tank just to keep the temp in the 80s. Contrary to some beliefs, unstable temperature IS natural and is arguably beneficial.

Im not sure about rock and sand, because how many kilos of rocks in how many liters of water, well as an American I have no idea what it is unless i do some calculating, which wont be necessary as there are more UK members here :p.

No need for a filter, although mechanical filtration is a great thing to have, but you'd have to clean it a lot otherwise it could be counter productive.

Powerhead is like lighting, we need to know what you want before we can say what powerheads and how many, if all you want are some fish and maybe some basic LPS, 10x-20x would be fine, if you want a full on SPS reef you may even be looking at 50x or a bare bottom 100x water turnover. I would suggest a wavebox, Tunze wavebox more like, but it is expensive, if not, koralia pumps or tunze stream pumps are good. Stay away from impeller pumps, you want propeller pumps.

Lastly I dont think sumps are getting good enough treatment on the UK side, maybe its just the members on this forum but here in the US, sumps are practically a life line on many tanks, it is rare for people to have a tank above 30 gallons without a sump, unless they didnt know what they were doing. With sumps you can get bigger and more powerful skimmers for a cheaper price, you can hold a large refugium, you have a large amount of water capacity for more stocking or just dilution to play things safe, you can keep your reactors in there, your heaters, its much safer to dose in sumps, most calcium reactors are made for sumps etc. I HIGHLY suggest a sump, they are very easy to plumb into your main system, and once plumbed they are basically part of your tank and you dont need to give it extra care, unless you have a fuge, then you all you would need to do is add a light.

I know this is much more complicated than what Seffie said, but I've given you a lot more options for you to choose from, now instead of doing what someone says you can choose what YOU want to do with YOUR tank. Hope this helped.

OK, so i have spent the past few days searching the internet for advice etc, need you people to help with my decision!!!!!
Keep the AquaOne-180litres
Change the lights to t5's. Have found on web that someone has managed this at a cost of £98, not sure if that included actual lights or just balasts etc.If i do attempt this, i will have to remove EVERYTHING from the hood and re-screw for new lighs etc. If i mess up then the hood could be knackered for good :crazy:

Add a skimmer, Deltec 600, £135. Not sure how this will hang onto the back of tank as the trickle filter runs the full length and it would mean cutting into it i presume, but have not seen the skimmer, only pictures.

2 Koralia powerheads, roughly £30-£40 EACH

Live rock-30kilo, LFS £10 kilo. Thats £300 :crazy:

OR 2,
Just buy the smaller orca550
with correct lights, no major stripping down needed.
Its own skimmer

Whichever route i go down, would like the obvious CUC, cleaner shrimps etc.
Corals eg Green Xenia, Button Polyp, Mushroom, Feather duster. Dont know the correct names, sorry.
Fish, obviously 2 'nemo' not sure about the rest or how many.

So what do you think?

Only thing putting me off keeping the AquaOne is buying lights(VERY EXPENSIVE) and either not been able/capable of fitting them.
Dont know how the Skimmer fits/works. Is their enough room between the tank and wall to access it. Will it fit with the current hood, wont know this until bought and paid for, then its to late.

Oh yes, whatever route i take there is still Sand, Refractometer, Salt, Spare Heater, Spare Powerhead, RO unit :sick:

As always, any help would be much appreciated. Cheers, Dan.

The 980 is a nice tank but I suspect you will need to mod it a bit to get a skimmer personaly I would keep the hood trickle filter and use it for Chaeto.(guessing its the same design as the 620 trickle)

If you go down the Orca route look on good old fleabay you can save a lot I got my 6months old with all the LR + test kits etc for 160 added to it ofc but a very good starting point. I would nt discount other tanks like the D&D`s and I think aquaone have just announced a marine tank.

I had 620T when I started marine and was nervous converting it so sold it and got a Orca 550

Yes, it is a lovely tank especialy with the matching stand, very solid and best looking one that i have seen.

This is why i am unsure about converting it and messing everything up :crazy:

Dont want a skimmer that goes inside the tank and have no idea how to fit one outside with the trickle filter, it is a solid box, the full width of tank. If i had to mod it and cut into it, this would render it useless as a filter, as it would leak back into tank!!.

Yes i think it's the same as the 620.

Decisions, desicions.

Any one else :unsure:

Well danon, no offense to you or aquaone here but that overhead filter is useless for a marine application. So if you did proceed with using that tank, just ditch it and move on from there with your decision making. And don't forget, even if you do get an Orca tank, you'll still want to add a smaller hydor nano or hydor 1 to it for bonus flow as the orcas also don't come with very much flow.

What kind of corals are you looking to keep?

Most reactions

Back