Sw Conversion - 110 Gallon - Filtration

jonathond

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new here but have been reading voraciously. Lots of good info!

Here's the deal - I have a 110 gallon extra tall tank (it's 48"x18" and 30" high).

My current setup is african cichlids and I'm switching to salt.

I'm thinking I would like to start as FOWLR.

Right now I am running the following (in addition to the basics):
An Eheim Canister Filter
A Rena Canister Filter (I'm not exactly sure of the model numbers, but they're more than adequate for the 110g FW...)
A few heaters
Power compact lights (I think there are a few flourescents laying around also)

I know the basics of what I'd need to buy for the salt tank, my main concern is the filtration. I'd prefer to just use the existing canisters.
*Is a protein skimmer necessary?
*If I use the existing canisters, what sort of media should be in them?
*I see a lot of people just say they use powerheads, well what are they attached too? I mean, it's just a pump, right?
*I don't want to turn this into a light discussion (i kept plant tanks for years) - but would you suggest I keep the power compacts and the flourescents in order to get the little goodies in the live rock to blossom?
*Does my setup lack anything major?

Personnely, I would buy complete new filtration media, could still use the cannisters (I use 2 fluval 403s). Sponge, ceramic, bio balls if ya can fit them in. Also make room incase you need to place things like phosphate/nitrate/carbon media.

I would defo consider buying the biggest protein skimmer u can get ya hands on, some fish will need it. Plus if you ever decide to go reef you are already backed up. I have Live rock in my setup around £300 worth and I have these ext filters. I don`t think you can have enough.

instead of cannisters, contruct a sump, but if you like me who has a nagging wife who will not let you spend any money.. then cannisters are the best bet.

T5s are cheap enough to start things off growing on LR
Im guessing you will buy an actinic. A T8 tube will prob be surfice.

Are you cycling with fish? or using ammonia drops, ive read this can be done,..

I have used fish to cycle mine, i used 3 damsels that i bought as they are hardy. And like most who take theirs back to the lfs, i actually kept all 3 i started out with.
Also people dont like to cycle with fish, but aslong as you water and everything is tested ok, i think using these kind of fish isn`t an issue in my eyes.

Just take them out for couple hours when entering new fish into the aqaurium as they are territorial. After that they are fine.

Hey everyone, I'm new here but have been reading voraciously. Lots of good info!

Here's the deal - I have a 110 gallon extra tall tank (it's 48"x18" and 30" high).

My current setup is african cichlids and I'm switching to salt.

I'm thinking I would like to start as FOWLR.

Right now I am running the following (in addition to the basics):
An Eheim Canister Filter
A Rena Canister Filter (I'm not exactly sure of the model numbers, but they're more than adequate for the 110g FW...)
A few heaters
Power compact lights (I think there are a few flourescents laying around also)

I know the basics of what I'd need to buy for the salt tank, my main concern is the filtration. I'd prefer to just use the existing canisters.
*Is a protein skimmer necessary?
*If I use the existing canisters, what sort of media should be in them?
*I see a lot of people just say they use powerheads, well what are they attached too? I mean, it's just a pump, right?
*I don't want to turn this into a light discussion (i kept plant tanks for years) - but would you suggest I keep the power compacts and the flourescents in order to get the little goodies in the live rock to blossom?
*Does my setup lack anything major?

Thanks for the response.

I'm thinking I will cycle with fish - damsels seem to be the popular choice. Do many people keep these? I worked at a pet store for years and they're tough little suckers to catch - especially in a TALL tank that has LR in it. If I decided to keep them, are any better than others? I'm thinking I'll probably return them, but just in case.

I had planned on switching all the media... do many people place live rock in the canisters? Does the rock not need light to stay alive? I see a lot of you all mention this.

So, I definitely will be getting a protein skimmer! Probably some light upgrades also. I think my interest in planted tanks for FW will get me into the coral/reef world soon.

Does my current filtration setup sound adequate?

Do you all just place the power heads with a sponge inside the tank in order to keep water moving? I'm still unclear about this aspect.

I'm getting super excited! I've been serious about FW for about 20 years (planted tanks, cichlids, community, etc.) - and never really stepped over to the other side... now that I have the means to do it the right way it should be a fun change (challenge, ha) to my hobby.

Powerheads are to get water movement. The idea is to ensure there is adequate movement throughout the tank to prevent any detritus settling and rotting away. Also, the reef has a large amount of surges and currents, so it is somewhat of an attempt to recreate this as well.

I myself do not use sponges, but there is little chance of a fish or invert getting into my Tunze pumps. Other pumps need the sponge to prevent fish committing suicide.

Live Rock itself does not need light to stay alive. Some of the life that hitch hikes in on it might, but the bacteria that perform the filtration do not need light.

Damsels are little sods to catch i admit, i only really kept mine in. As was putting in much bigger fish, this then kept them at bay. I think these are probably hardiest of fish you can get that are as cheap as they are. £4.50 - £5.00 a pop isn`t alot.

If your using a canister just attach a spray bar and have it at one end of the tank just below the water level. you could use a power head (maxijet) to do this instead.

I have used my 2 canistors on each of me tanks for 4 years now. Never had any real issues.

Live rock in a canister: Could act similar to a sump. So couldn`t be a bad thing, but ya will have LR in ya tank it would just do the same thing.
I would like a sump eventually, just so everything is tidy with no pipes and things hanging here n there.

I keep a FOWLR 6x2x2 tank and i don`t have any power heads. Just two Spray bars from the both cannisters.
If you do use powerheads then like you said just wrap an elastic band around the inlet with sponge.

For my Reef (4x2x2) I also have 2 cannisters, but I would recommend using a maxijet (powerhead), just to stop of the debris lying on the rocks after feeding time. Also this helps corals catch food as it flying by..

Its defo a nice hobby, just a damn expensive one. I would love to have me 6ft tank as a reef.. but me wife wants to ged rid of it. on going argument we have had for over 5 years with that one. I just argue that it was here b4 she moved in... It kinda wins everytime. hehe

Thanks for the response.

I'm thinking I will cycle with fish - damsels seem to be the popular choice. Do many people keep these? I worked at a pet store for years and they're tough little suckers to catch - especially in a TALL tank that has LR in it. If I decided to keep them, are any better than others? I'm thinking I'll probably return them, but just in case.

I had planned on switching all the media... do many people place live rock in the canisters? Does the rock not need light to stay alive? I see a lot of you all mention this.

So, I definitely will be getting a protein skimmer! Probably some light upgrades also. I think my interest in planted tanks for FW will get me into the coral/reef world soon.

Does my current filtration setup sound adequate?

Do you all just place the power heads with a sponge inside the tank in order to keep water moving? I'm still unclear about this aspect.

I'm getting super excited! I've been serious about FW for about 20 years (planted tanks, cichlids, community, etc.) - and never really stepped over to the other side... now that I have the means to do it the right way it should be a fun change (challenge, ha) to my hobby.

Nice - so I might be closer than I thought to making this a reality.

I'm sure there are other posts about protein skimmers, but any thoughts on what type/brand is best? I don't want to have to fiddle with a protein skimmer on a regular basis.

I guess I have to start getting rid of these African Cichlids, I have some really nice beautiful fish - but the change will be fun!

Any thoughts on how deep substrate should be? Four inches?

Wow so many topics here, where to begin? I guess I'll start by encouraging you to keep reading as this side of the hobby can be complicated and you want to do things right the first time. As such definitely try and decide on what livestock really catches your eye and what you really want to keep. Then design your hardware around the livestock that you choose. Remember that flowrate and water motion are essential aspects of a marine aquarium, especially one with corals and invertebrates. In addition to simulating natural high-flow environments, water motion helps keep the system oxygenated and free of CO2 (thus a stable pH). It carries nutrients and helps remove irritants from the flesh of invertebrates and promotes the growth of higher invertebrates. A saltwater tank withoug water flow is an unhealthy saltwater tank. You can use filters and spraybars and all that stuff, but TBH, you won't beat larger propeller style powerheads like Tunze/Seio in terms of water movement, efficiency, and clutter.

And for cycling, we cheat in saltwater tanks. Live Rock allready has the bacteria on it to cycle a tank. When you put LR in your tank its like stealing your friend's filter straight out of his tank and dropping it in yours. There is no need to cycle with fish. Please dont put them through it, its purely not necessary. Furthermore, while exceptionally hardy and used in the past for cycling tanks, damselfish are exceptionally aggressive little bastages and will likely turn on future additions to your tank. Best to stay away.

Okay - so far this is what I'm thinking for the tall 110:

I'll have the two canisters running underneath the tank. I'll obviously be changing the media - maybe live rock in one and other media in the other. I'll just decide when I'm at the LFS.

I'll have the two PC lighs and two 48" flourescents on the top - I have a really nice LFS - so I can get the correct types of lights there. (eventually i'll upgrade)

I'm thinking I'll get the Coralife Super Skimmer - it sounds good from a lot of the other posts I've read. Should I go with the one that is adequate for the 220 gallon tank? I mean, it's larger than necessary, but I might as well if I'm willing to spend the money, right? And from what I understand, I can't over-skim.
(Or another one??? I want one that will last and be easy to care for.)

How many powerheads you all recommend? And what type? I guess the real question is how much water should move per day/hour?

I have the other basics and I think I understand the substrate and live rock situation.

Another - Can I use the water I get from my tap? I'm reading conflicting things about this.

And since this post is going in a lot of directions - what about painting the outside of the back pane of glass? Anyone do this? I've seen it done on freshwater tanks and it really looks great. I was thinking a dark blue or black. I hate fiddling with those plastic backgrounds and since my tank will be empty when I start this foray, it'd be a good time to do it.

Skimmer, well if you want one thats going to last and be easy to care for, you might want to spend the cash on an AquaC Remora. The coralife's do the job for sure but they require some tweaking and babysitting. The AquaC is much more reliable albeit a little smaller. So long as you dont try and overstock the tank you'll be fine.

Most reactions

Back