Surface Scum In Freshwater Aquaria

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bazza57

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Help! :sad:

Does anyone out there know how to deal with surface scum in my planted aquarium (36"x18"x12")?
I have 2 internal filters running (fluval 2 & fluval 1)adequate t5 lighting, mainly vallis,crytocorne &swords -lightly stocked - 2 mature platydoras & 2 mature pimolodus pictus. I use a Tetra plant C02 injection system and a drop checker which indicates medium - low co2 levels.
I have both filters situated 2" below the water surface to minimise surfaceagitation (loss of C02 too quickly), yet this naff scum accumilates, besides looking unsightly I worry that it is an underlying problem that could get worse - how can I remove this? I thought the use of protien skimmers were just for salt water aquaria.

Baffled :blush:

Hi there, its basically just a biological film, a sort of 'plenum' that naturally develops.

Its usualy removed by surface agitation, and biological activity.

I would say that regular water changes, and limited inputs are the best way. Also things like snails, fresh water diatoms etc. are a good way to clear it up (some people use mollies as part of their diet comes from grazed water surface).

i wouldn't go buying expensive removers/skimmers, the best way i have found is jug or bucket at an angle and scoop the suface scum and then finish with good old fashioned kitchen roll to mop the rest up. Then do a water change. It may take a couple of attempts, but you'll get there.

Some think its due to the protiens in the fish food on why this happens, i did read something a few weeks back that high organic levels can attribute.

You can have a gentle ripple, that is all that is needed, it is just enough to keep the scum away but you won't lose loads of CO2.
If you don't want to do this and it isn't the proteins from the fish food, then it can be due to the plants not receiving enough CO2/ nutrients, some have had success in raising the CO2 levels but if you are already at maximum then adding a bit more fertiliser or increasing the frequency of the dose may help.

Thanks, Aaron

Thanks guys for all the replies,

your comments have at least put my mind at rest. I'll try some of the suggestions, I have been known to use the old paper towel trick in the past, certainly cheaper than a protien skimmer.
I don't think platys will mix well with the pimolus (they are very greedy but tame)who wouldd regard them as a light snack. My 2 platydoras costatus would demolish any snails in no time, but I may add medium sized shoaling fish in the future.
P.S. nice pictures by the way, hope to get mine as good one day. :good:

You can have a gentle ripple, that is all that is needed, it is just enough to keep the scum away but you won't lose loads of CO2.
If you don't want to do this and it isn't the proteins from the fish food, then it can be due to the plants not receiving enough CO2/ nutrients, some have had success in raising the CO2 levels but if you are already at maximum then adding a bit more fertiliser or increasing the frequency of the dose may help.

Thanks, Aaron

Hi Aaron,
Thanks for the reply, You may also have seen the same question on the ukaps site. I am also a member of UKAPS (newbie- user name barrapp57)anyway cheers for the help.

Bazza57 aka barrapp57

what does your surface scum look like?
i have just started getting white frof on the surface, looks like a build up of oxegen bubbles.

wondering if yours is the same

what does your surface scum look like?
i have just started getting white frof on the surface, looks like a build up of oxegen bubbles.

wondering if yours is the same

Sounds identical - whitish colour, slightly snotty looking bubbles. the tank water is very clear though.
All test readings are good, just the scum on the surface looks a bit naff. As I keep catfish which would eat any small fish, I am now considering adding gouramis or similar to occupy the upper levels -these should be sfe from the catfish & may well eat the scummy stuff.

good to know its nothing serious then. i have one clown killi with more on the way so maybe they will sort it out.

weird why its just started in the last few days when nothing has changed (apart from moving a few plants).

feel a good water change is coming tonight.

There is a product called a 'lily pipe' which is connected to your filter to replace your current in & out pipes/ spray bar etc......... It basically causes a mini whirlpool on the surface and removes the film (or so it is said to I have never tried it myself!)

i got home yesterday and all the scum had gone, very odd.

i did a 20% water change anyway and cleaned the glass etc, noticed a small amount of scum on the surface this morning.

i have read the same about the lily pipe, they look nice as well. saying that my spray bar does create a ripple across the surface

Surface scum - update.

I have added 3x otocinclus & 1x Ancistrus unknown L number (though a very small one) & 2x red gouramis.

In the space of 2 days they have cleaned the scum plus any algae patches have been eaten. I can now see the ammonite fossil which I placed in the tank now the clean-up crew are at work. :)

Most reactions

Back