Surface Cleaning

fUbAr

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi there,

i have muck on the surface of my water, its been cycling for 2 weeks with no fish.

how do i clean the muck off, its mostly dust and impurities from the water that you can see floating about... getting moved about by the current from my filter?

Thanks.

oh, its also slightly oily on the surface....

If your using an external filter Eheim and Fluval both make handy surface skimmers for the intake of your filter. Otherwise simply submerge a jam jar/glass slowly until it sucks scum from the surface slowly filling it. Or if your reading a really old book and youll use blotting paper! lay it on the surface and whip it off quick! (not my personal choice). good luck!

Hi there,

i have muck on the surface of my water, its been cycling for 2 weeks with no fish.

how do i clean the muck off, its mostly dust and impurities from the water that you can see floating about... getting moved about by the current from my filter?

Thanks.

oh, its also slightly oily on the surface....

It's very strange that you would have an oily, mucky surface before any fish have been added...maybe it came from an especially dirty substrate?

is there something other than blotting paper i can use to clean the surface of dust and stuff... i've sadly run out of my supply of blotting paper :(

Most reactions

Back