SuperStand!!!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gi4get

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
woodier than a lodgepole pine! more attractive than anything else on the shelf! it's SuperStand!! the question is....can it hold the weight?

I'm a college student planning on buying a 20 gal. H once I move back into the dorm. I love the stands at most pet shops but don't love the price. I've found a very attractive low stand at Target for half the cost of other stands. There's a little excess of L and W so I'm not worried about size. It was built as a tv stand so I know it can hold atleast that much. However, water's heavy and I'm worried my inexpensive stand won't be able to deal with 160+ lbs.

If it's not stated on the box, how can I tell the weight capacity of a stand? If this stand doesn't cut it, is there any way to boost the its support? Would I be better off dropping 50-80 bucks on a pet store stand? *question...question* :*)

Advanced thanks for the help :)

Well 20 gallons is not too heavy. I weighed my water and it came up with 7.5 pounds. So thats about 150 lbs. I would say just get someone heavy to go with you and sit on the stand. If it collases then sneak away. And if it doesnt then you got a top knotch piece of equipment!

Also you could try nailing it better to make it sturdier. As I like to say Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome!

It depends on the construction of the stand. Is it real wood or that glue/sawdust mixture particle board crap? Take a good look and see exactly what part of the stand will be supporting the weight.

yeah dont forget to inspect the quality of the joints and st0ff. this is a pretty interesting topic.. my tank (10 gal) is on a "shelf" type of thing on my desk, just a glance away from my monitor. im not all that confident with it though so im probably eventually gonna cut a 2x4 and sand it just right to wedge for support. ive always wondered about those steel frames they use to make shelves and things at homedepot/officemax etc but i never looked it up. how cheap is it anyone know? its really simple and kinda "rough" i guess is the word which is why i like it.

I had my 20 gallon on a living room end table successfully. I would look around at yard sales or a used furniture place and pick one up for about 5 bucks. :thumbs:

wow! thats an excellent idea! why didnt i ever think of that... i will keep my eyes open for something in case i ever do run out of space :D

Most reactions

Back