Sun Coral?

aly_starh

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Im intreseted in Sun Corals. I have just read Seffies Pinned Thread. Its very informative!

Do you think it would it be fine in my tank? (65L, 24W, 3000LPH)

I know the dont need light, so do i just feed it a few times a week on Shrimp, Mysis and brine?

Also, does anyone know the price of them?

thanks! :good:

PS. "THE BOOK" Seems flippin Great!!!!!!!!!!! I want one! :nod:

Im intreseted in Sun Corals. I have just read Seffies Pinned Thread. Its very informative!

I know the dont need light, so do i just feed it a few times a week on Shrimp, Mysis and brine?

thanks! :good:

PS. "THE BOOK" Seems flippin Great!!!!!!!!!!! I want one! :nod:

It depends on the size/number of heads, but normally go on eBay for around £35. I wouldn't mind one myself but am going to wait untll I've made some modifications to the sump and got better lighting for the algae in the refugium, before I get any expensive corals. I'd might be worth investing in a 5 or 10ml medical syringe to target feed them. They are only £1 for the chemists.

thanks!
good.gif

PS. "THE BOOK" Seems flippin Great!!!!!!!!!!! I want one!
yes.gif

Hi,

The best method Ive found for Sun corals is to add a little of your main daily feed into your tank and wait 10 mins. This usuall gets the coral to open fully (if not already) then add you main feed so its can naturally collect the feed rather than "force it down its neck".

However, you still need to target feed at some point to ensure its gets its fair share, you just dont have to do it 3 times a week. For its weekly target feed I physically place the coral into a old (cleaned) margarine tub full of water from the main tank and feed directly with mysis via a syring - The ones which come with Tetra test kits are just the right size for feeding mysis.

I've had my sun coral for 3 years now and using this method its grown fine.

#43###

I don't recommend sun corals for beginners. It is not that they are hard to keep, but, they need dedication and consistency. As mentioned above, the corals open mostly at night to feed. They like high flow as they usually are found hanging out under cave ledges where currents bring the food to them.

You have to get your hand in the tank, as mentioned above, several times a week to spot feed them, or, which works great but is a pain...to remove them from the tank in tank water and flood the water with food. This latter method works best with nano tanks because sun corals CAN bump up nitrates in a small tank.

If you have the patience to feed them, they can be beautiful. Below are some picks (older) from my tank. Imagine feeding all those heads:

tubastrea2.jpg

tubastrea1.jpg

If you can feed them, as mentioned above, constantly, consistently and you are able to maintain good water parameters, they are not hard to keep. SH

lovely looking sun coral Steelhealr!

I'm on the lookout for one of these myself. Certainly a labour intensive coral but, If you're gonna spend the best part of 40 on one, you'll defintiely look after it lol.

Agreed AK. If you can keep it a labor of love, they are a nice coral. SH

I think sun coral's are best spot feed after lights out, a very beautiful coral but way to high maintnance, you will have enough to worry about as a newbie, best avioded at this stage imo.

I don't recommend sun corals for beginners. It is not that they are hard to keep, but, they need dedication and consistency. As mentioned above, the corals open mostly at night to feed. They like high flow as they usually are found hanging out under cave ledges where currents bring the food to them.

You have to get your hand in the tank, as mentioned above, several times a week to spot feed them, or, which works great but is a pain...to remove them from the tank in tank water and flood the water with food. This latter method works best with nano tanks because sun corals CAN bump up nitrates in a small tank.

If you have the patience to feed them, they can be beautiful. Below are some picks (older) from my tank. Imagine feeding all those heads:

tubastrea2.jpg

tubastrea1.jpg

If you can feed them, as mentioned above, constantly, consistently and you are able to maintain good water parameters, they are not hard to keep. SH

lovely looking sun coral SH!!

At each sitting how many mysis shrimp for eg would you want each polyp to take?

Each head could easily take in 1-2 mysis. They also took squid. SH

Most reactions

Back