Summer Fish Room Explosion

Coryologist

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Greetings, all. Every year, usually in late August, when the weather it at its hottest, I generally have a spawning explosion. This year it has arrived early.

My room has been quite productive. Over 600 wrigglers in the past 48 hours, with more eggs to go, including:

C. amapaensis, C. aurofrenatus, C. bilineatus, C. ehrhardti, C. schultzei - Black, C. semiaquilus, C089, C120, A. albater, A. eurycephalus, C035 "Black Phantom" and C118. Additionally, I borrowed a small group of B. splendens from Lori, the young lady who works p/t in the fish room, as I do not have any Brochis, under my belt. They were here 8 days and threw a massive spawning, which have all hatched. They are getting ready to go, again.

I think it a bit more than a coincidence that both times the C. semiaquilus spawned, the C. amapaensis were just a day or two behind. As my last spawn of C. semiaquilus have started hatching, I have had 2 spawns of the C. amapaensis in the past 4 days. From one trio, The other group of six have yet to spawn.

This morning, I found that my group of C. similis, which at one time were reliable producers, but for the past 6 months have done nothing, managed to lay about 110 viable eggs, their largest spawn to date. I guess they were making up for lost time. :hyper:

The C089's eggs started hatching yesterday and this morning I found at least 500 eggs in their tank. The last spawn was about 300. They do not eat their eggs. Unfortunately. lol.

So, yesterday I'm floating in the lake, wondering how I am going to find and afford all the java moss I am going to need for all the new tanks we set-up over the past 2 weeks. The stuff is not cheap and I use it exclusively for spawning my Corys. All of a sudden, I'm tangled up in a giant clump of aquatic plant that looks to me like it would be a perfect free replacement for java moss, if I can get it to grow in my tanks. I throw some in a bucket and rinse it well with a hose, looking for dragonfly larvae and the like. I put a big clump of it in a 20 USG long, containing about 2 dozen extremely well-conditioned, C. reynoldsi, which spawned for me once, a couple of months ago, but not a single wriggler was witnessed. They have done nothing, since then. Within 18 hours of putting that plant in that tank, I had 40 viable C. reynoldsi eggs. Go figure.

Also, more C. aurofrenatus, C. ehrhardti, C118 and C120 eggs, this morning. Still nothing from the C. multimaculatus, which is killing me and the C150's which have teased me with a few, non-viable eggs.

I have added a new fish to my "must spawn" list. That would be C. bondi. Since Ian brought me these in June, I have grown to fancy them, more and more, each day. They really are beautiful fish.

The CW016's still look ready to go at any minute. Fingers crossed.

I did a little experiment with a tank housing around 350 wrigglers. I completely squeezed 3 well-loaded sponge-filters into the tank. After about a half-hour, everything settled it created a layer completely covering the fry. They are buried in the stuff. The reason I am trying this, is to try to reduce fry deaths, which I think in my situation is caused by starvation during the first few day of being free-swimming. The first time I successfully spawned S. kronei, I did not know that I had done so. Since I assumed that the tank had gone south, I removed the parents and ignored the tank until I could find time to clean it. About a week or 10 day later, when I got around to it, I found 40 fry, hidden by a 1/4" layer of mulm. They were fat and happy and have gone on to have spawns of their own, just recently.

So between the introduction of a plant from the wild and an experiment that will either help my wrigglers survive or kill them all in a flash, this has, so far, been an interesting past few days. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

BTW - with the successful B. splendens spawning - if the C. reynoldsi make it, that will make, finally, officially, once and for all, a successful spawning of 50 distinct Corydoradine cats. Finally!!! - Frank

P.S. Just found 3 C. weitzmani eggs, which usually means about 35 eggs or so, in the morning.

I bet you are enjoying every minute of it coryologist. I know that I would be and I'm not really a dyed in the wool cory fan although I seem to be getting that way.

:blink: Those are a lot of babies.

Great work!

And if all goes well I will have some of thos babies! I have my eye on the slbater, the C118 and the bondi!

Yeah! Especially nice work floating around on a lake while the help does the maintenance. hehe

But really! Good work, Frank!
They should be ready to ship just in time for good weather here.

Brilliant Frank. That sounds like a busy summer for you then. Good luck raising all those babies and look forward to your amazing pics, if you ever get time with all that work ;)

Carmen :good:

is that all :rolleyes: How the hell do you find time to look after them all....

Congrats though :)

And if all goes well I will have some of thos babies! I have my eye on the albater, the C118 and the bondi!
Well, I have the first 2 at various ages, but no action from the latter, yet.
Yeah! Especially nice work floating around on a lake while the help does the maintenance. hehe
No. I don't hit the lake until she leaves, although since it's going to be 95, today, I may ask her to leave early. lol.
But really! Good work, Frank! They should be ready to ship just in time for good weather here.
Sounds about right. I have not shipped for 6 or 7 weeks, now - maybe 8. I'll keep you posted. - Frank

You will have bondi; I am sure.

Add reticulatus to my list, and of course longipinnus. And whatever you recommend.

I just had some plants come from MO. They were shipped Priority Monday morning, and I got them Friday afternoon. It must have been at least 80 in the styrofoam box. My corkscrew vals were cooked. Although they will loose their leaves, I think most have redeemable stalks.

Priority is not a good option here in the summer months.

On the up side, when Frank isn't floating on the lake thinking about his fish, he is in a comfortable chair watching his fish!
:beer: :beer: :beer:

And it works! Because I am getting Frank Fries in in the Fall, I hope.

"I must save room! I must save room! I must save room."

Most reactions

Back