Suitable Bigger Fish To Live With Neons And Harlequins

Kiwi Clint

Reaction score
In a never ending father/son battle that I and my six year old are having on what to stock our new 40gallon tank with (he wants neons and harlequins, i want bigger cichlids) I am after some advice for a comprimise.
Thought of angels or discus, but am being told that it would be unfair on them in a 3 foot tank (18 inches high). have been told to get Bolivian rams, which seems a good idea. Anyone else got a suggestion for a bigger colourful fish to live with these neons and harequins?
cheers

clint

Gouramis maybe? Maybe some Dwarfs?

Angels would eat your Neons probably by the way.

If you wanted Cichlids specifically then best wait for someone coz I know nothing about them lol. Just admire them from afar :drool:

t bar cichlids

sajica_pair_jeff_rapps.jpg

convicts

convict_female.jpg

firemouth

firemouth_cichlid.jpg

Arent t-bar cichlids beligerent little blighters? I was lead to believe. +1 on the Firemouths though, beautifull fish, and easy to breed.

Appistos are a nice alternative. Small, very attractive and increasingly ccommon to find in good LFS'.

Arent t-bar cichlids beligerent little blighters? I was lead to believe
:lol:

i have one in with my little angles and he/she is very placid!

You could try rainbow cichlids or Thorichthys ellioti's (related to the firemouth less aggressive), they get to a decent size and are pretty tame, i've had them in with small tetras like neons and also in with harlequins before.

Most reactions

Back