Suggestions for 75 gal Malawi tank...

Zero2005

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have an empty 75gal tank that used to contain lake tang cichlids. the substrate is sand with piles of holey rock along the back and shells littering the floor. I am in the process of recycling it and would like to hear suggestions on what kinds of lake malawi cichlids to stock. Also, how many can fit safely. Not sure how the agression of these fish compare to tangs.

So let's hear those ideas on combinations of fish. Basically, i want a colorful tank. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Oh, I currenly have an Aqua Clear 500 running solo. For these malawis, should I get additional filtration... maybe an extra Aqua Clear 200..?

thanks

Hi, zero2005... welcome to TFF! :thumbs:

I've had a 75g malawi mbuna tank running for the past year. You can see what I have stocked in my sig. This link is a great place to start your research. Take a look and make a list of the species you're interested in. We can help better from there with what fish are compatible and appropriate for your tank.

Stocking numbers really depend on what species you choose, but generally you want to overstock mbuna.

That brings us to filtration. Due to the afformentioned overstocking, you will definitely want additional filtration, either another AC500 or (preferably) a decent canister filter, something along the lines of an Eheim Classic 2215. There are numerous brands and features available, so you should do some homework to determine which is best for you in your price range.

Hope that helps get the thought process going...

Wow, thanks for the link. Lots of good info. That is exactly what I was looking for. As for the filtration, I will add another aqua clear. also, this is probably the suggestion i will try to follow:

Lake Malawi Haplochromine Aquarium

Pick 1 species from any 4 groups (Max 5 of each):
Group A:
• Copadichromis azureus
• Copadichromis chrysonotus
• Copadichromis sp. "Mloto flourescent"
• Copadichromis trewavasae

Group B:
• Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan" (Taiwanee Reef)
• Protomelas taeniolatus (Red Empress)
• Protomelas ornatus

Group C:
• Aulonocara baenschi
• Aulonocara stuartgranti (Usisya)

Group D:
• Placidochromis electra
• Placidochromis phenochilus

Group E:
• Otopharynx lithobates

Group F:
• Nyassachromis species

I am trying to get as much color as possible, while trying to keep the fish relatively small, say max of 5in. This is going to be fun... :nod:

Any suggestions on the types you would pick?

I think at this point it comes down to personal preference Zero. That list gives you a good idea of what you can keep together successfully. Just don't take the instructions literally - look into the different species and use common sense when stocking. For example the Red Empress is a fairly large fish and 5 would be too many, 2 or 3 would be plenty.

If you are looking for just color and care less about breeding you can also consider an all male tank - single male hap specimens instead of groups of breeding harems. The reason I'm suggesting this is because most of these species have females that are bland greys or browns, and since they are generally kept in harems you'd end up with much more of these.

Something that I'd do, once you're asking personal opinions, for a colorful tank, is get one male from each group on there (or more then one with the intention of keeping just one male of each), and then fortify the aquarium with a nice group of 8 to 10 Labidochromis Caeruleus - a mbuna that gets along very well in hap tanks. I've done something like this before and it makes a very stunning and active show tank with little aggression.

Also, how many can fit safely. Not sure how the aggression of these fish compare to tangs.
You'll find they have a very different type of aggression then Tangs, but the aggression of 'Malawi's' ranges from quite peaceful to extremely hostile. Likewise it's hard to say how many can fit since 'Malawi's' range from 3" to 24" long!

Most reactions

Back