Suggestions For 5 Gallon Hex

Trina

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 5 gallon hex tank. It is cycling right now (3 weeks old, still have some ammonia, but it is dropping). I currently have 2 African dwarf frogs that I love already and 3 zebra danios that are going to a LFS as I realize that I made a mistake with them--too active for such a small tank.

So, I would like some suggestions on what to get to go with the frogs. I know that many people will say that 5 gallons is too small and that I should get a bigger tank. Please know that I understand this, but am a poor grad student and what's done is done with the purchase of my small tank. I also know that I need to wait until cylcing is complete to add anything.

I want a fish that is calm, peaceful, and will add a splash of color to my tank. Most of all the fish(es) MUST absolutely leave my frogs safe.

Ideas I have heard from others include: male betta, female betta, dward/flame/honey gourami.

Again, I want a peaceful, calm, pretty tank with healthy/happy inhabitants.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

The only option for your tank is probably going to be a single betta. Usually they're fine with ADFs though males especially can be grumpy and territorial depending on the fish, so no guarantees. You could also try a sparkling gourami or a small school of microrasbora or ember tetras, the only trouble is that they tend to be very difficult to find. I'd avoid dwarf (flames are dwarves as well) and honey gouramis as they're a bit on the large size for your tank.

Five gallons isn't too small so long as you accept that you have a small tank, stock accordingly and keep up on your maintenance. No matter what you do go with, make sure that you provide plenty of cover in the form of plants (live or fake) and other decor. :good:

The only option for your tank is probably going to be a single betta. Usually they're fine with ADFs though males especially can be grumpy and territorial depending on the fish, so no guarantees. You could also try a sparkling gourami or a small school of microrasbora or ember tetras, the only trouble is that they tend to be very difficult to find. I'd avoid dwarf (flames are dwarves as well) and honey gouramis as they're a bit on the large size for your tank.

Five gallons isn't too small so long as you accept that you have a small tank, stock accordingly and keep up on your maintenance. No matter what you do go with, make sure that you provide plenty of cover in the form of plants (live or fake) and other decor. :good:

Thanks! I have 2 fake plants--one is tall and part of it floats on the surface. I also have a fake cave that the frogs totally claim as their own.

I know that I can only have one fish and have to change water and test on a regular basis. It's all good as long as it keeps everyone healthy and happy.

bettas are the best option to go with ADF's. (frogs)
but you could try some smaller fish:http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm, again most if not all are hard to get a hold of, and some might no be suited to live with frogs, research them first.
maybe a sparkling gouramies. or ever bumblee bee gobies, the freshwater kind, usally fish with other tank mates.

bettas are the best option to go with ADF's. (frogs)
but you could try some smaller fish:http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm, again most if not all are hard to get a hold of, and some might no be suited to live with frogs, research them first.
maybe a sparkling gouramies. or ever bumblee bee gobies, the freshwater kind, usally fish with other tank mates.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out tomorrow when I have a better connection.

Do you think a male or female betta? I have a male betta now in his own tank. He seems very aggressive (flares at everything), so he would not work with the ADF. I saw a beautiful male betta in a community tank at a LFS this weekend. He seemed very mellow. Maybe I'll go back and see if he's still there or look for another male in a community tank. I think female bettas are pretty, but don't have one and have heard they can be as fiesty as males (depends on the individual fish).

I love the ADF and their safety is the number one concern.

Thanks in advance for any help you give.

Bettas can be just fine in communities, I have two rather fiesty male bettas that are both in communities and two females in a community that ignore all of their tankmates but each other. The trick is finding a betta that will only pester betta-like fish, most will leave bottom feeders and drab fish alone. If you already have a betta, I'd suggest trying him in with the ADFs before going out and buying another one. If he doesn't work out and you have to buy another one, I'd go with either a female or a male kept in a community tank, that way you'll be able to watch the behavior of the fish as he interacts with his tankmates.

i agree with tessla, try your betta out first,
male or female bettas, doesnt matter, both can be nice or nasty.

I'm a little confused. While I get your and the previous poster's recommendation to try my betta in theory, I really don't think he would work b/c I have noticed that he seems particularly fearsome--he flares at chopsticks I use to pluck stuff out of his tank, he flares if he sees me using a pen when I'm writing and get what he considers to be too close to his tank, he flares when he wants more food (but has already had enough). Sometimes I'll look across the room and he's just flaring at what appears to be nothing. On the other hand, he dances for me when I get up in the morning and come home from work/school, and he knows what side of the tank I feed him on and will go there and wait for his food. He also loves to build huge bubble nests everyday and I'm afraid the flow from the filter in my 5 gallon would mess those up, as well as afraid what might happen if one of the ADFs messed up his nest in one of their mad dashes to the surface for air.

Can you please explain why you think it's a good idea to try him in the 5 gallon tank first, as opposed to getting a female or scouting out the LFS for a male who's kept in a community tank?

I'm not disagreeing with you, just don't quite get it.

what size tank is he in now?
if it is smaller than the tank withthe ADFs then i'd say its worth a try just to give him the chance of having more swiming space, then if it doesn't work out, we can suggest an other option from there :nod:

Still too big for a 5g hex, plus they eat live fish almost exclusively which there certainly isn't room or filtration for.

dont post unhelpful links please james, dwarf puffers and leaf fish are both unsuitable to live in a 5gallon tank with frogs.
i think what i meant was try your betta out, but as he flares alot it might not be a good idea. go buy another male then, try to look for one thats with other fish, that might be friendler. but if your betta you have now is in a smaller than 5 gallon, try him first, like someone said. its worth a try anyhow. when i added frogs with my betta, he flared at them first, but never attacked them, then got used to the, and left the alone. if it dont work out, pop your betta back on his own and try another. maybe theres something that the betta can see thats making him flare, maybe a poster on your wall, or an object in his line of sight. maybe he thinks its a female, hence the bubble nest, or he could just be happy and blowing bubbles for fun. flaring doesnt nessarily mean aggression.with out the frogs, 1 dwarf puffer can live in a 5 gallon.but 2 and they would be fighting. leaf fish need bigger tanks.

Most reactions

Back