suffering betta, dont know what i should do with him/her ):

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tthymee

Reaction score
hi, i was recently put in charge of the class fish in my art class. the last girl who took care of them hardly cleaned the tank and the betta seems very very sick now. his eyes are clouded and completely covered i cannot see them, and his fins are turning white/ transparent. he also has a huge growth on his side that looks like white/grey mold. i dont have the money to care for him because it was not my choice to take him, i cannot spend money on care or a bigger tank. i cant take him home either because i already have a betta and i dont have room for him. his tank was disgusting when i cleaned it and the smell made me almost throw up. he had another fish in the tank but im not sure what it was, he was about 4 inches long and the tank is only 2.5 gallons. my teacher gave him away to someone with a bigger tank because he could barely move in there. the betta hasn't been eating recently and he hardly moves, im not sure if i should just do my best to keep him clean and let him die naturally or if thats cruel, no one in class really cares about him and i feel bad for him. the girl before just didnt care for him at all and i think hes suffering. i check up on him everyday and clean his tank once a week. i just dont know what the best option for him is. )): (the pictures are before and after i cleaned his tank, the second photo has the big fish in it)

Attachments

• 1581477066446.JPEG
    1581477066446.JPEG
    212.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 1581477066601.JPEG
    1581477066601.JPEG
    258 KB · Views: 89
Hi, it looks like he may be dragonscale. The pictures aren't close enough for me to make out a detailed difference between his scale color and his eye color, which could be a product of his genetics. However, with regular water changes (considering the state he was in, I would up it to twice a week and continue even when it's not your designated turn), he should recover from MOST damages. If that patch seems fuzzy, he has a minor fungal infection, and that can be treated with Furan-2, which is $9 on Amazon. Follow the package directions to the letter and he will be okay. As for the other fish....it LOOKS like he was housed with another betta, which means that could've been an old wound that wasn't allowed to properly heal, as males are often excessively territorial with one another and can't be housed together.

If it's possible maybe even do a water change every day that you can, the more you can do the better chances for this guy

There's no need for chemicals at this stage. Just do a 75% water change and gravel clean his tank every day for a couple of weeks. If you can't do it every day, try to do it every couple of days.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Maybe add some floating plants like Duckweed or Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta).

Get them to reduce the feeding to once every couple of days.

Most reactions

Back