Sudden Green Algae Problem

Andy_P

Reaction score
Tank size: 30"x15"x12" (aprox 11 gallon / 65 litre)
Undergravel filter
pH: 6.8
ammonia: 0 mg/l
nitrite: 0 mg/l
nitrate: very high (see text)
kH:0 dH
gH:16 dH
tank temp:25-26 C

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behaviour):OK,a bit sluggish

Volume and Frequency of water changes: usually 6 gallons /

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: Only a chlorine remover / tap water additive until last week (see text)

Tank inhabitants: Community inc. 1xPlec, 2x clown loach, 1x Ghost Knife, barbs, neons, tetras

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): None

-----------------------------

Hi, sorry for the really long first post but may I describe the symptoms first and then ask questions at the end?

1. This is a long-standing tank set-up (nearly 20 years!) with lots of living plants that grow really well and I have never had any problems with excess algae growth.
When I first started, I used to monitor the water conditions quite closely with test kits, but eventually I stopped as things were usually so stable.

2. About 6 weeks ago I discovered the heater had broken and the fish had been at ambient temperature (around 24 C during the day) for an unknown period (typically, my tank thermometer batteries had died at around the same time and I was having trouble finding replacements!)

3. I bought a new heater straight away and set it up to 26 deg C on it's own scale

4. About a week later, I fixed the thermometer and discovered that the temp was actually now rather too high (about 27-28 C), so I reset the heater to a lower setting to get back to 25-26 C

5. Soon after that I started to get bad algae growth on the plants and rocks, which I put down to the high temperature. Maybe I was wrong! Since then I've been physically wiping and scraping it off the bigger leaves but it keeps coming back. By doing so I also ended up stirring a lot of it into the water, so I did a couple more water changes than usual to improve the look.

6. Eventually I bought some Algae killer, but the dose depended on the hardness of the water and it also warned about reducing the dose if there were loaches etc in the tank.
I remembered from the early days that my tap water was "slightly hard" but to be safe I used the minimum dose and repeated it two weeks later. However, it made no difference, the algae kept returning and getting worse

7. So in order to calculate the proper dose of algae killer correctly, yesterday I bought a combined test kit primarily to check the hardness.
As well as the water being much harder than I expected, to my horror I discovered the Nitrate level was through the roof! (around 250mg/l NO3)
Nitrites were OK at 0-1mg/l NO2.

8. I did an immediate water change (50%) and the Nitrate level has reduced a bit but is still very high today (100mg/l NO3)

-----------------

So here are my questions and theories...

1. Did the nitrate level shoot up because of the amount of decaying algae that I had left in the water?

2. In which case, what caused the sudden algae growth originally?

3. Or is the algae growth due to the high nitrate levels? (as I read yesterday)in which case, what caused the Nitrate level rise?.

If it's #3, nothing has changed AFAIK, so my only thought is that maybe the undergravel filter has crashed,maybe due to a blocked filterplate or a leak in the connection to the up-tube and pump, so the water is pumping, but not being pulled through the gravel properly?
I have only completely stripped down the tank twice before, there never seemed a need to! I'm not looking forward to it, but will do it if I need to.

4. Until I get this sorted properly, what is the absolute maximum amount of water changes I can do to keep the Nitrates down temporarily? Is 50% every day too much?

5. Should I try to reduce the hardness somehow?

Sorry for such a long first post, but I wanted to get all the facts written down to give you the background and what's happened since I first noticed a problem.

Many many thanks for any advice.

I remember when I had a green algae problem, I would do water changes to lower the nitrAtes level, scrape off the algae and follow it with a water change of around 55-65%.

One thing I remember that worked well, was I left the lights off during the algae issue, the fishes didn't mind and my plants seemed fine, but it worked incredibly well in clearing out all the green algae.

Thanks, the scraping and water changes are pretty much what I'm doing now, but it's not curing the algae yet.what I'm wondering is if it is OK to do DAILY water changes and gravel cleans for a while, or if that might remove too much of the friendly bacteria in the gravel filter?

Interesting thought about turning th lights off. Once the algae had gone, it didn't come back again once you put the lights back on?

Anyone any thought on WHY the algae problem started? I'm struggling with 'cause and effect' and 'what came first' and the big question of whether I need to do a total strip-down.

Most Algae problems stem from lighting wether it be having your tank where it gets to much direct sunlight or just sipmply leaving your tank lights on to long. i think the norm seems to be not to leave your tank lights on more then 6-8 hrs in a day. you should be fine doing daily water changes and gravel cleaning. most of your benificial bacteria is in your filter and there is very litte if any that grows in your substrate. So just leave the lights off and scrape the algae and it will eventually clear up. Good luck and keep us informed

Erm, it's an "undergravel filter" setup, the gravel *is* the filter!

And the thing is, nothing has changed with the lighting or positioning of the tank for 20 years (apart from having to change the bulb occasionally, and I haven't had to do that recently).
That's why I don't understand what's changed to suddenly produce all this algae, unless it's the mechanics of pulling the water through the gravel and filterplate has gone wrong - hence more nitrates which apparently promotes algae growth as well as stressing the fish.

------------

P.S. Sorry, I've just seen I've somehow managed to post this in the "Your new freshwater tank" section, when I was sure I'd put it in "Tropical Fish Emergencies"
Maybe I did and a mod. has moved it? If so, and "Emergencies" was the wrong place, sorry!
But maybe "Tropical Discussion" would be a better home for it, as this is certainly not a "New" set-up.

Most reactions

Back