Sudden death of Danio

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BroncoMama

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am hoping someone can help me identify what happened to my Danio. She was completely fine yesterday and this morning she was extra big (thinking she was going to drop some eggs). She also has a spot on her head and redness at the base of her side fins. After she died I was able to view her underside better and it looks red, swollen and her eyes look bulging to me. Her color is definitely faded but I think that's due to her being dead 🙄

Her fins never clamped but she was floating near the surface and clearly gasping with her mouth. No sign of injury or fin rot. Looking at her postmortem she definitely has red lines running down the side and under belly. She ate well last night and this morning she wanted nothing to do with it. I feel like I watch my fish pretty closely and I did not see this coming. She was about a year and a half old. Soon as I woke up and noticed her condition I quarantined her right away but I'm very worried about my other fish now. Obviously I can't save her but I would like help identifying what happened so I can treat appropriately.

I have 10 glofish danios in a 20 gallon tank.
PH-7.2
Temp- 71 to 72° f
Nitrates- 5.0 ppm
Ammonia- 0
1000008391.jpg

Any help will be much appreciated! Thank you 🐟
1000008382.jpg
1000008390.jpg

Attachments

• 1000008382.jpg
    1000008382.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 2
Everything points to a bacterial infection, internally. Beyond that, you'll likely never know.

Most reactions

Back