Substrate Problems

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Elly

Reaction score
Today I took everything out of my tank and put JBL Florapol substrate in the tank. However, I did this with the water in and just mixed it in with the gravel. It's clay-based, so the entire tank went murky and brown and I couldn't see a thing. Three hours later it's starting to clear with the help of my Fluval 305 and Juwel internal with white pad. However, this seems to be a problem - how on earth am I going to gravel vac in the future? I'll end up stirring up all the substrate. Also, the fish are starting to pick at it - is it harmful?

I think vac'ing such substates will depend on how heavily planted your tank is....

Today I took everything out of my tank and put JBL Florapol substrate in the tank. However, I did this with the water in and just mixed it in with the gravel. It's clay-based, so the entire tank went murky and brown and I couldn't see a thing. Three hours later it's starting to clear with the help of my Fluval 305 and Juwel internal with white pad. However, this seems to be a problem - how on earth am I going to gravel vac in the future? I'll end up stirring up all the substrate. Also, the fish are starting to pick at it - is it harmful?

you are only meant to mix floropol with the bottom 1/3 of the gravel... if you are careful you can then hoover the top without mixing it in.

if you mixed floropol with the top layer... then hoovering will remove it

Most reactions

Back