Substrate Intruders Need Identifying

jonnyf84

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey all, i have a intruder in one of my tanks, i have eco-complete in all my tanks and today i noticed these little lice things in the substrate of one of them, i forced one or two up to the surface to get a better look but they just burrowed straight back down, finally i sucked a lot of substrate out and managed to get one on a teaspoon, luckily i have a decent camera otherwise there would be no way of identifying these little critters as they are so small, they are quite quick and nimble, they have legs and move almost like shrimps.

I'm guessing they are there because the substrate has a lot of rotting plant matter in it, most of this is usually used by the live plants, the problem is that vaccing eco-complete is very difficult as it is so light and has beneficial powdered minerals and powered rock in it so syphoning this would defeat the purpose of having it in the first place.

What are they and are they dangerous in any way, and is there any way too get rid of them without stripping the whole tank.

To get the best view of them click the top image, a new window will open, hover your mouse over the image and it will turn into a zoom sign, click to zoom in.

Many thanks.

They are too small to harm anything and will sift the substrate, probably detritus and algae eaters they are filling an acological niche and provided fish don't start going missing leave them be.

Most reactions

Back