Substrate change advice please

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TropicalCod

Reaction score
Hi all.
im thinking about changing my substrate because I think it’s causing me a few issues with hair algae.
I’ve got ferns and mosses that are doing ok but have been covered in BBA and hair algae Recently.
I’ve changed the filter cartridge and that seems to have helped.
I’m also doing regular water changes too.
lighting schedule ok as are my water parameters.
So, my thinking is to change my substrate which is currently white fine sand (Maidenhead aquatics), to one that helps aid plant growth as well as the water column.

Anyone got thoughts on this or any advice which would be welcome too.

thanks

First oiff, problem algae is caused by an imbalance of light and nutrients. The substrate material (sand here) does not have any impact on this, though the "white" does because it reflects light more than a darker substrate. Fish are also impacted negatively by white substrates. So changing it might be a good thing.

You mention ferns and mosses; these plants are slow growing, which means they require less light intensity and less nutrients than fast growing plants. The light (intensity, spectrum and duration) is one factor, and the second is the nutrients present, which occur from fish being fed, water changes, and any plant additives. If the light and nutrients are in balance for the plants, problem algae will not occur. Tweaking the balance usually solves the issue.

Edit. @Essjay subsequent post reminded me of something I missed earlier, sorry. Plants that are rooted in the substrate will grow well in any substrate that is not too large a grain size, so consider the fish's needs when it comes to substrate. Some need sand and some are negatively impacted by the so-called "plant" substrates, and this is far more important. Mosses and many ferns are not, as essjay noted, rooted in the substrate.

Last edited:
I would also add that the majority of ferns and mosses are grown attached to decor rather than planted in the substrate. Using a so-called plant substrate will do nothing for plants attached to decor.

Can you tell us which ferns and moss you have so we know if they can be planted in the substrate?

Hi all.
im thinking about changing my substrate because I think it’s causing me a few issues with hair algae.
I’ve got ferns and mosses that are doing ok but have been covered in BBA and hair algae Recently.
I’ve changed the filter cartridge and that seems to have helped.
I’m also doing regular water changes too.
lighting schedule ok as are my water parameters.
So, my thinking is to change my substrate which is currently white fine sand (Maidenhead aquatics), to one that helps aid plant growth as well as the water column.

Anyone got thoughts on this or any advice which would be welcome too.

thanks
I'm not sure how changing the substrate will affect the algae, unless the removal of reflective white will have an impact.
Algae, like the rest of your plants, loves light and usually, you can significantly reduce the light in your tank and the algae will die off, leaving the higher plants.
...And by 'significantly reduce', I mean that you'd have to exclude sunlight, if you're able. Any sunlight will promote algae growth.

Algae will also feed off the nutrients in the water, either supplied directly by yourself in the form of fertiliser, or indirectly, from the tank's waste. Limiting these will also help, so it's another argument to keep your tank well-maintained and not to over-feed.

Add into this, I remove hair algae by twisting it around an especially-purchased toothbrush.
BBA is something else and is much harder to get rid of.

You could consider removing the plants you want to keep and putting them in another bit of warm water, in another tank or even a bucket. You can then cover the tank in a black opaque cover to completely shut out the light. Do this for, say, a week and the chances are, all of the algae will die off. (Monitor your water parameters if you do this, because the dying algae can cause an upset in ammonia levels.

Hi all.
thanks for the replies..appreciate them.
I’ve got some Java fern/ moss and 3 moss balls.
Pic of tank attached, due for a water change tomorrow..
I have a algae scraper that has a prong on thats opposite end and do use this to twirl some of the algae off the moss.

Attachments

• 6713AFD6-1F98-4B63-8594-6E4E1282A962.jpeg
    6713AFD6-1F98-4B63-8594-6E4E1282A962.jpeg
    333.4 KB · Views: 43
OK, the issue is definitely the imbalance, and likely primarily the light. Duration is one factor, so reducing the period of light each day may help, but the intensity may also be a factor. Floating plants like Water Sprite would certainly benefit here, not only by shading the light but using more nutrients, as they are fast growing plants. The fish would be much happier too, they do not appreciate bright overhead lighting.

Since none of those plants should be planted in the substrate, you don't need a special substrate for plants.

But as Byron has mentioned, a white substrate stresses fish as well as possibly encouraging algae by reflecting light back up into the water. I would change the substrate but for sand or gravel which is darker in colour.

I see you have cardinals, but if you ever intend to get any bottom dwelling fish, sand is better for them. If you don't have and never intend to have bottom dwellers, either gravel or sand whichever you prefer.

I have a tip about not planted plants : it is easily possible to put a rootstick between roots and decor before attach them together. It's enough to add a small piece of fabric between rrots and stick ;)

A A A A A .jpg

Most reactions

Back