Substrate - Another Question!

AdamHawk

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Yes it is another question about which substrate to use! I have scoured the search feature to read through other posts, but can't find what I'm actually looking for.

So....

I'm fed up of half and half this and that mix and match in my tank so I'm going to start one of my tanks again. What I wish to know is

What Substrate do you use for Growing plants? SAND, GRAVEL, SOIL, SOMETHING ELSE?
What Brands do you use for the above materials? ADA, UNIPET, JBL, SOMETHING ELSE?
Any Other suggestions or tips you can throw in?

Your help is greatly apprechiated.

Adam

Does not matter to the both of them, Everyone uses different brands and gets different effects. I'd just scout around and get what best suits you.

Plants in the hobby can draw nutrients from the water column, so the substrate is less important that you'd think.  Unlike terrestrial plants, aquatic plants have more options for nutrient uptake.

Sand (or any fine grain substrate) works well in terms of rooting the plants.  The sand offers very little in nutrients, so if you are going with a higher lighting set-up, you may need to dose fertilizers to maintain a proper balance of light and nutrients.

Planting substrates are easy enough to find and use.  Some are more "rounded" and are safe for bottom swifting fish, like loaches or corydoras.

Small gravel is nice in terms of oxygen to the roots, but a little more difficult to plant.

Large gravel is almost impossible to plant.

I use both a sand substrate only (see below), and a planting substrate topped with sand.  Each has its advantages and disadvantages.  I'd base my substrate choice on lighting and fish stocking, not brand.  

If possible to get names of different brands a mixes you'd recommend. To whether its your taste or mine, I set up this thread to see what options there, what you'd use. Thanks for replays so far.

I'm in the US.  I don't think we have the same brands available.

Adam what sort of plants are you intending to have ?  Do you just want a fish tank "with some plants in", or are you intending to go the whole hog and have a proper planted aquarium with lots of plants, possibly even going high tech with plant fert dosing and CO2 injection ?  To some extent your aspirations in these terms will determine whats better.  If you can answer the above I can happily make some suggestions.  But to just detail ALL your options would involve writing a long essay that would take hours, LOL

Most reactions

Back