Subdued Tank Lighting

pete4344

Reaction score
I would like to make my planted tropical tank look more interesting when the main lighting is off. I was thinking of fitting some some low level lighting to come on during this time.

Does anyone know what the best colour of lighting would be to reduce the chance of algae becoming a problem. I was thinking of moon lighting, but have been told that blue lighting is likely to cause an algae problem. So would, say, red or green lighting be better, or maybe just plain white, possibly supplied by LED's.

Thanks in advance

The colour will have no effect on algae whatsoever. The quantity of light is the key. The red/blue/green lights will not cause you problems nor will cold cathodes as on their own they do not supply anywhere near enough light for the algae.

Choose whatever colours you prefer as long as it doesn't become disco because then you may get to realms of supplying enough light for algae/plants.

I use 2 cold cathodes in my 33USG as moonlight:
nightlight.gif

AC

The colour will have no effect on algae whatsoever. The quantity of light is the key. The red/blue/green lights will not cause you problems nor will cold cathodes as on their own they do not supply anywhere near enough light for the algae.

Choose whatever colours you prefer as long as it doesn't become disco because then you may get to realms of supplying enough light for algae/plants.

I use 2 cold cathodes in my 33USG as moonlight:
nightlight.gif

AC

Many thanks for that. I think that is the answer I really wanted to hear! I will experiment to see what looks best.

Most reactions

Back